Coast to coast VI

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Coast to coast VI
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 12:59 am:

Continued from http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/784217.html?1505322904

Hardly know where to begin... will start, before I forget, by heaping gratitude & appreciation upon the High Desert Model A club and the "T Bums" of Deschutes County. Extraordinary gents.

So... Mike painstakingly mated the new rods with the new crank at his shop for some days, before a hefty mob of us set about putting everything back together - a process by turns fiddlesome, brutal and bloody. Only ended up with about a dozen mystery parts. The moment of truth was drawn out for two hours - engine just wouldn't fire, and we were all convinced the ignition was to blame. Don & I went out to the Bend NAPA for a condenser and points, which didn't do the job any better than all the extra ground cables Mike lashed to the distributor housing and elsewhere. Then, with night upon us, I glanced down at my feet from behind the wheel and noticed that the fuel cut-off switch (whose existence had eluded me until the week before) was in an unhelpful position. Some idiot had forgotten to turn it back - I won't name any names, but this one begins with T and ends with M. WAAAAAAAAGH.

Next morning I drove the T behind Ron's truck on back roads to Tom Keller's place - he adjusted the bands, then drive his own Touring with us part of the way back to Ron's house at Culver (where I'd been put up for days by the wonderful and endlessly entertaining Ron & Marlene). Late that afternoon a load of T guys came round to Ron's shop to tweak things (special mention to Dave for his tender caster adjustment using a scaffold bar and a pipe wrench the size of Oregon). Dennis and Jim took it off for a test drive... a couple of minutes later the shop phone rang. "We need a tow. The car kind of caught fire." Ron's son Dale retrieved them with his trailer - their quick thinking with the battery terminals saved the car, but every wire was a singed & melted mess.

As ever there was a silver lining: the wiring had been a shambles anyway, and Ron was mates with the guy who runs Bauer in Bend, probably the best vintage harness outfit in the US. Next day they made us an almost full wiring set up while we waited. I also had to get a new regulator from a place up the road - it blew all those decades before on my drive into Burns. All the boys came round to Ron's and laboured long into the day rewiring the car. Not the end of it - one of the head bolts stripped, so Ron put a stud from one of his Model As in with a but in top. Super resourceful. If I have his wit & vim at 85 I'll be very grateful (especially as I don't even have them now).

Late yesterday I finally hit the road - Dennis generously offered to accompany me in his great shabby-chic 26 Roadster through some extraordinary canyons to his cabin 20 miles up the road, where we spent the night. Amazing setting. But more woes en route - carb flooded, bits of fuel hose in the works. Happened again this morning so Dennis spliced in another fuel filter ( I'd kept the old one) after the pump. I need to change the lines. Bloody ethanol!

Followed Dennis down some muscular county roads, on the steepest and rockiest of which my brakes failed. Hefty adjustments with Mount Jefferson looming majestically behind us like the Paramount Pictures logo. "If the brakes go again, just honk the horn and run into me. Better than going over the edge." Indeed. It was some edge.

Dennis finally waved me off at the busy US 2O. Conquered the Cascades at Santiam Pass, then completely missed his recommended scenic turn off to Sweet Home from US 22 - I was transfixed by massive billowing smoke from a huge wildfire right in front of me, and deceived by the car's new found speed! Thanks to Mike I will find it very hard to keep below 40 on the flat. Brakes went again just to keep me on my toes - the left hand Rocky Mountain adjuster had undone itself right down to the bottom of its thread! Seems fine now though - I'm in Sublimity, about 205 miles since the distant last update.

Photo overload incoming...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 01:05 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 01:43 am:

Wow! But back on the road again! Wonderful photos. You are looking rested and ready to conquer the world.
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 01:53 am:

Great to see you back on the road! You ought to be able to fix anything now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 02:06 am:

Cheers Wayne & Tony! I'm missing those boys but it's good to be back on the road, and in a reinvigorated machine.

Another couple - Dennis's cabin, and Ron Alley: Legend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 06:28 am:

What - a cliffhanger! Can't wait for the next update!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 06:51 am:

We've been on pins and needles! Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:21 am:

Awesome story and update. Thank you :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:35 am:

It is going to be quite a book. Two volumes?

Volume on focusing upon the car and vistas.

Volume two addressing all the folks you met along the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 09:43 am:

:-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 09:48 am:

I want the movie rights!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Hi Tim - I missed it at first but the logo on Tom's grill actually says "Turd". Pretty clever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:09 am:

Tim,

So happy to hear from you again! Also pleased that you're back on the road! It must feel great to be clocking miles again. Any thoughts on turning around at the Pacific Ocean and coming back east??? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 11:08 am:

Tim, Sorry to hear that you missed the turn by Marion Forks but glad to hear that you made it. I would put a lock nut on the rocky brake adjuster, it shouldn't back off but the return spring on that side is weak. It was truly a pleasure working with you and the rest of the crew and to be able to travel a ways with you, you aren't the only one that got a great story out of it. Safe travels my good man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 11:18 am:

Best of Luck,...inspirational !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Thanks for update Tim. That should be some book! Pleanty of material. Great photos of great talented people with big hearts. Good to hear your wheels are rolling again. Drive safe and update us arm chair co-pilots often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

And he's back! And you've had a haircut :-) !!!

I popped in to see Richard up at the T Service today and we were chatting about your adventures so it's timely that you're back posting again today.

Have a safe and pleasant conclusion to your travels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

Jesse, You have some SHARP Eyes!!!

So now we wonder if the cars name really is Turd?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

We're wishing you continuing Safe travels and awesome adventures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

Many thanks all. Deke, looking forward to a potential T party after my return!

Lovely early autumn day, crisp blue skies with the odd layer of wildfire smoke. Oregon's traditional "destruction of the pumpkins" was underway. Then rolling, and sometimes rearing pine-clad hills alone with giant timber trucks.

Couple of abrupt cutouts - tightened up the rewired terminal nuts and back of the ignition switch and all seems well. Gas mileage back to 20+. 122 miles to Clatskanie today, will cross by ferry into Washington tomorrow. MY FINAL STATE!

That's Dennis's "Turd", a fab old thing that really shifts. Dennis - really sorry I missed that turn off! Also haven't thanked you enough for all the bits you donated as well as your assistance & hospitality. That Ruckstell knob has changed my life! Makes a pleasure of every cackhanded clunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 12:19 am:

Brasscarguy - you have a message!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

I've only gone & made it.

Ocean Beach, WA. 6,102 miles.

Topped up the Pacific with my little bottle of Atlantic water filled on day 1. Now have some topping up of my own to do.

Oscar-speech thanks to all of you.

I have no idea how to readjust to normal life (occupational hazard).

Now to ship the car home...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

What a great adventure! I've enjoyed following all of your posts and was heartened by all of the support you received from the Model T community along the way. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

HUZZAH, Tim!

congratulations on a monumental trip with some terrific and a few not-so-terrific moments!

Best wishes for a very popular and successful printing

scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

So glad to hear you made it. Your trip has really shown how supportive our hobby is. You had enough problems along the way to make for a good story. You even broke the worst part of the T to break, and the hardest to replace while in route. But it all worked out. I tip my hat to you sir, a job well done .... I also tip my hat to all the supporters you had throughout the trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn French on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

I have enjoyed and looked forward to your posts. Glad you had a safe trip. Something I could only dream of doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

Well done you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Tim. If your odyssey doesn't inspire me to take one of my T's on a long distance trip then nothing will. Thanks for sharing. Your wit is most entertaining. KBO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

What a grand trip! I can't wait to buy the book!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

Tim,

I envy your accomplishment! I have very much enjoyed reading all of your posts! I was very skeptical about your trip when you first brought it up on the forum. Nothing finer than someone setting out to do what they said they are going to do!
Every part of your trip is something to be proud of including all the breakdowns! What memories you will have the rest of your life. I envy it all! I hope you take that broken crankshaft home and hang it on the wall in your garage as a remembrance of this trip! You can look at it and ponder over a pint of ale. This trip of yours has been what people did nearly a hundred years ago. Please post your book and where to buy as I will pick up a copy!

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 12:35 am:

Good show!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 12:40 am:

Tim-
Gimme a holler if you are coming back though the Portland area.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 01:49 am:

Next year take your T across South America. You can fix anything now. Congratulations!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 02:19 am:

Tim,
Congratulations on a job well done and many new friends made here in the USA. I have enjoyed all of your posts.
Because you are keeping your T and shipping it home you need a second flag pole picture with a Union Jack.
Take care in your next project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 02:33 am:

Tim, wonderful story. You've shown that anything can be surmounted with a Model T and some humor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 04:00 am:

And a lot of help along the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 04:14 am:

"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2 NAS
Congrats on your quest! You have stopped and completed but you are not finished.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 05:23 am:

Absolutely brilliant news, I could be happier for you. Congratulations on completing such a monumental undertaking, and 3rd Party thanks to all who helped out and got your wheels turning again.

I'm looking forward to the homecoming T party. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 07:11 am:

This is going to make one hell of a good book! Well done sir.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 07:35 am:

congratulations

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 08:39 am:

Congrats. Looking forward to the book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 08:46 am:

Congratulations!!! We will be going through the same withdrawals.

Please do not be s stranger here on the forum and keep us posted on your fun once the T is in its new home.

It was a pleasure meeting you and being a small part of your adventure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 08:57 am:

Fantastic adventure and as Peter N stated above, we'll all be having withdrawals now !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Reed on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Thanks for letting us be part of your journey!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:26 am:

Congrats Tim! I'll be looking for the book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 10:11 am:

Ditto on Peters comments, above! It was a real pleasure meeting/ working with you.and great to follow your "odessy" to the pacific ocean. Will miss your FORUM POSTS but hope you will stay with us now that you are a qualified Model T owner. Hope to catch you in London next spring. Best Regards, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Tim,
Awesome!

Most of all I am thankful for your safety. But I must say I am grateful for how the model T community came together for you.

What port are you shipping from?

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Tim, well done! To state the obvious it is not so much the destination, but rather the journey. When you go, you learn because things break and need fixed to continue. You see out-of-the-way places getting things fixed. Most of all, you do more than meet great people willing to help, but you share an experience with them along the way. I enjoyed reading the thread and appreciate you perseverance. An off-road racing saying- everything goes wrong and then everything works out. Good stories. Good luck with the small journey of shipping back. That will be another small adventure I am sure. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 10:48 am:

Well done my good man! I am glad to hear that you made it safely and that I had the pleasure of getting to know more about you. Stay in touch and let us know how the trip home goes and any future adventures (in your T or otherwise).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Profound thanks all. Been genuinely humbled by the support throughout, both on here and on the road.

Trying quite desperately right now to track down brasscarguy, who lives in the Seattle area & generously offered to help me with the car-shipping process (he said he'd shipped many cars to the UK from there). Sent him a message and an email but no response as yet. Does anyone have any other contact details?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

Continued thanks for taking us across America, Model T style. I really enjoyed the trip. Hope the next leg goes well.Keep us informed. Allen, SW. mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Here's his profile, if you want to send him a private message:

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=brasscarguy-users

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

Contact with bcg established! Another helpful & friendly soul, will hopefully meet him on Monday.

Thanks all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

Congratulations Tim! Have enjoyed following your "adventure" tremendously! Makes me proud in a couple of different ways:

My Dad (Swiss-Swede) married a very English lady,....my Mom was born in the U.S. but my grandparents on the Wadsworth side came over from Yorkshire, England in 190x (?). Anyway, my Dad often commented on my Mom's stubborn nature and English heritage by saying,...."They don't call 'em Johnny Bull for nothin!" (:^)

And you're obviously a typical example Tim, because you sure made believers of the "naysayers" on this forum by your stubborn "stick-to-it-ivness" (if that's a word) which make me proud of my English heritage, and I'm also proud of the Model "T" "community" as demonstrated by the support you've had on this forum, and especially the willingness of "T" guys all across the country to help when you needed it! I just know that when you get back home to England, you'll no doubt be saying things like,......hey,....those "Yanks" are okay"!

Again, well done Tim, and let us know on this forum when you get to Seattle. And by the way,....I'm not too sure who "brasscarguy" is either, but I'm pretty sure via this forum that he's a great "T" guy that will help you out ref shipping arrangements as he said he would,.......harold

P.S. Put me on "the list" for a copy of your book, which I'll proudly keep in my "T" library, right next to Neil Tuckett's book!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

Congrats! So enjoyed following all your posts and especially the pictures.

I really feel sad that you finally made it to the end of your journey... Now we can't franticly look on our computers to see where and what new calamity has happened to you! Guess we will just have to patiently wait for you book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

Oops! Was typing at the same time you were Tim! Glad you made contact with "bcg!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Thanks Harold & Gene - very kind words. It's a splendid country you have here. With a great many tremendous people.

Freighter Jim just gave me a call (and a very kind offer) regarding shipping the car home. He wisely suggested asking for input: does anyone have recent experience of shipping cars from the west coast to the UK? If so which US port did you use? Ideally I'd like the car offloaded at Bristol.

If you'd rather send me a private message feel free to do so!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

Maith go leor Tim!!!

Am going to miss your posts - best parts of the day were checking your threads. I cannot wait to read the book when it is published. When you know the release date, please post it on the Forum.

Safe travels home to you and your T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 05:49 am:

I shipped my '57 Bel Air out of Vancouver in July 2012 - not exactly recent, I know...

I used a shipping company here in the U.K. who took care of everything. I can look out their details if you like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 07:02 am:

Tim,
I have no clue about shipping, but for purely selfish reasons I will say you should head south through central California! We do have a port in Long Beach. On the way you have to stop by and visit me! I will work on getting you a Model T ride in Yosemite!

I know at least one person that drives cars down from Washington to ship to Australia. So perhaps you could do the same. After you get the T to Australia drive it across and hope on the next content until you finally get home;)

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Thanks Tim, it was a great ride. It gave me some encouragement to do a long trip in my speedster. God's speed and let us hear from you on your travels with your T in UK..
Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 12:07 am:

Continued thanks for taking us across America, Model T style. I really enjoyed the trip. Hope the next leg goes well.Keep us informed. Allen, SW. mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 12:11 am:

Sorry, double message. Allen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

Tim,

I'll PM you with the email address of John Biggs, a fellow Brit. He's well versed in getting cars "to & fro".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

Tim -

I have shipped many cars from the US to the UK. I use a broker. PM me if you would like info.

Usually ships out of the Port of Oakland, CA or San Diego. South through the Panama Canal and across the pond. It's a long trip doing it that way.

The other option is to truck it east across the US to a port in New Jersey (such as Secaucus) where it would be containerized and shipped straight across. This is the faster method, and not much more expensive.

(Of course, you could always just DRIVE it from Seattle to New Jersey. It is "road tested" now! ;))

However you do it, safe travels! I look forward to your book.

David
www.CharvetClassicCars.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 02:44 am:

Thanks again, for all the kind words and shipping suggestions. I really cannot praise this forum too highly. Beyond all the informative and entertaining encouragement on this thread, so many of you have dirtied your fingernails on my T, for days on end, driving me around, and in a couple of notable cases hosting me for many nights. I have met an endless procession of cheerful, generous, resourceful, skilled and truly inspiring people.

So... been a busy & productive day! Drove into north Seattle via the Edmonds ferry yesterday, and this morning was picked up by brasscarguy Howard. You know how it is: you have a Subaru transmission to pick up in Canada, so you take some English guy you've never met along for the ride. What a great day! Howard is a fount of great stories, and a really proper car guy. On the way back from Canada we stopped off to see his friend Mike, who has an astonishing antique collection, all manner of very early cars under the dust sheets and some lovely Ts. Then we went back to the motel where I'd left the T, and I followed Howard through the traffic (with an interlude to see his own great cars) to meet the estimable Freighter Jim at a Home Depot parking lot. By happy coincidence and through the kindness of his heart, Jim was passing through the area and offered to trailer my T to Long Beach, where it will be much easier (and hopefully cheaper) to arrange shipping. Kim Dobbins has very generously offered to garage it there while we sort things out.

Bit weird steering the car into Jim's trailer, knowing that next time I'll be driving it on the wrong side of the road in pissing rain.

I'm actually flying home tomorrow morning! Whirlwind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 05:13 am:

I wonder if your footing is a little different after driving a T for so many weeks ... as when sailors are on dry land after a two year voyage. I would have loved documenting your trip with tintypes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Tim

you will definitely be missed! You have been our very own "Perils of Pauline", with drama, suspense, and of course, the ever present (and signature) cliff-hangers until the next posting...and we have loved every greasy, sweat-stained moment. Althea and I wish the best to you and hope our paths cross again.

Say "hello" to your wife for us...I'm sure she will be GLAD to see you on home turf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 11:24 am:

Tim,

Congratulations! It was great convoying with you through Huntsville, AL (you, Bill, Seth and I) in that crazy heat!

I look forward to reading whatever comes out of this; and if I ever make it to the Bath vicinity I'll be looking you up -- unless you're riding a donkey across the Andes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

We're going to miss you! Please stay in contact with us. You're one of us now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

I must say it was a real pleasure helping Tim put the final touches on his incredible journey. I could see twangs of sadness in Tim's eyes as he rolled his model t into the trailer. 3 months 6000+ miles of seat time.

What an incredible adventure, we as able bodied T's masters think nothing of twisting the crank hoping and and going for a ride. Tim on the other hand, never drove a model t lest alone driving on the wrong side of the road(for him).

He mastered the t in fine fashion, the off side driving, and all the Yank input. He left us today on the big tin bird back to his home land. We are all better for knowing him and following his adventure.

I for one salute him for his cahuna's(bigger than Dick Tracy) for not only starting the adventure against much negative advice to the contrary. Completing his adventure unfazed and unscathed. Those of you that offered opinions against, shame on you.

Tim is my new found hero

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

Did Tim ever have a flat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

I just found this book on Hemmings Motor News and ordered a copy om Amazon.

If you like Tim's story here, you might like to read this one.

Chasing Grandpa Paperback August 9, 2017

by Richard Tuthill Bassemir (Author)

This is a true story about a man that drove a car from the east coast of the USA to the west coast and back in 1916, and his grandson who wanted to recreate this adventure using the same model car on the 100th year anniversary. The car used was a Maxwell Model 25, an open air touring car. The man, C.W. Tuthill, was a salesman for the Maxwell Motor Car Company. He and a fellow salesman, P.G. Scull, wanted to show that the Maxwell was a great car for every day family use by driving it around the country in the winter months. Years later one of the grandsons discovers his grandpa's diary of the trip and conceives the idea to recreate this historic event on the 100th year anniversary. After months of preparation and with the help and support of many people, two of C.W. Tuthill's grandsons along with a friend follow the same route as described in his diary in the same model car, a Maxwell Model 25 touring car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Looking back over Tim's 6000 mile trip, I'm as interested in what DID'NT fail as much as what DID fail. No criticism intended here; just honest curiosity about what components were thoroughly successful and what exactly contributed to their success.

Tires: Apparently not so much as a flat. And the tires themselves went at least 6000 miles and aren't worn out yet. I wonder what kind of tires they are ? Were the wheels rebuilt or originals ?

Transmission: Evidently no problems there. I wonder what kind of bands were used ? And how good were the drums ?

Rear End: Somebody must have put that baby together right. But wait a minute, wasn't there something about the Hyatt's being replaced with the modern solid roller type ?

Overall, a post trip rundown of what was successful would be very interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 07:17 am:

It's true, not a single flat in 6,300 miles! The fronts went pretty bald near the end - I put the rears on the front in Bend, and swapped out the spare for the most worn. Both have had it really (may have had something to do with the 1.25 inches of excess toe in that were undone in Bend!). I also only had to put air in the tyres once! They're Firestone but I can't be more precise.

Kevlar bands. Low gear is nearing the end of its adjustment now, but they all served me very well. Drums seem fine.

Rear end - yep, no issues. Was topped up at Ross's in Texas but didn't really need it. It's a 3:1.

After-market failures: two ignition coils (probably an unnecessary change), three sets of points and three condensers (one of each probably unnecessary).

BUST CRANKSHAFT! This also took out the nylon timing gear. May have been catalysed by a failing condenser, which caused some punishingly erratic running the day before.

One and a half exhaust valves burned out. Changed all four.

Two connecting-rod bearings failed. Babbit broke up. May have been exacerbated by an out-of-round crankshaft (as diagnosed by Scott in Wyoming). Fitted four new rods when the replacement crankshaft went.

The two cylinder walls where the rods went ended up with what looked like pretty bad gouges from an errant wrist pin, though compression remained excellent (78-80 - high compression head).

Starter motor failed and had to be replaced.

Wiring loom replaced after fire!

Tie-rod snapped in two (almost certainly caused by the hydraulic damper - it broke right where the damper was attached). Rod welded and damper removed - no noticeable effect on stability.

I've probably forgotten a few things. Other than the crankshaft the car acquitted itself spectacularly well overall.

Got home yesterday. Feels very odd not to be sitting in a T all day in blazing sun. To ease the acclimatisation process my wife and I watched the 1934 classic It Happened One Night yesterday evening - a Model T is the underdog hero in the final act! Great to see (and hear) one in action again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 07:35 am:

Tim, you've changed!
From your very first post, months ago, which sounded novice, you now come across as a T-man and a gearhead.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

WOW, that engine is now practically new , almost a couple rebuild going cross country. Heck of a trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

Tim - while your big adventure is over, I hope you will continue to be a contributor to the forum. You have gained more experience and miles than many of us will ever have. I'm sure you can provide much helpful advice to others from that experience. Plus your posts are always well written and informative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Tim;

I'm looking forward to hearing about your touring adventures once your car arrives at home. I think the novelty of a T there is greater than over here, and the roads and terrain are very different. Please do share pictures and posts of your travels with the T in England. And of course if you are in need of pieces and parts just mention it here, I'm sure many of us will be glad to send what you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

Model T Fords seem to have a way of attracting the best humanity has to offer. I would say that Tim Moore is no exception.
Tim, From your first posting, and still, I have enjoyed this journey of yours. I, too, hope you will continue to grace us with continued posts from time to time. You may need to put something after your name however, to differentiate yourself from the other Tim Moore in Michigan if I recall correctly. You will always have a place in our hearts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Riding his ass across South America to riding ON his ass across North America. :-)
Twas a bit off-put by the few who said that most of us here will never make 6300 miles in their T.
They are correct however. Some of us never will! :-)
Rock on Tim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

Tim it is one of the best trip I follow. You provide me a lot learning stuff. I'm really happy for you and thank you letting us know about your nice adventure. Wish you all the very best. I would like to make a trip coast to coast in Canada one day.

Cheers,

Mario

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 07:23 am:

Thanks again, fine people. Said it before, will say it again: this trip single-handedly restored my faith in human nature.

Freighter Jim just sent me this shot of Kim Dobbins manoeuvring my car out of Jim's trailer. Feels like a year since I've set eyes on the poor old thing. Car will be shipped to the UK from nearby Long Beach - first quote I've had is for $1,300 in a shared container. Seems pretty good.

Massive respect to the Jim & Kim dream team!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 07:28 am:

Anyone managed to ship a car across the Atlantic for less than $1,300???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 07:40 am:

I came into work this morning to find Ford has posted a big story about Tim's trip on its internal news site. A good read.

This is my personal observation. I do not speak for Ford Motor Company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Nearly twenty years ago we shipped three small cars to England for the London to Brighton Run for $3000 each way. I think that $1300 for one vehicle is fair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

No, mine cost about $1600, including trucking from Milwaukee to NJ, so seems a good price from the west coast !
Be sure to check if they are knowledgable about how to secure a T in the container, a T has to be strapped down by the ends of the axles, not by the center or by the wheels itself. otherwise you may end up with a bent front or rear axle or crushed wheels. Again, thanks for the tales of your trip, and we're awaiting the book !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Is it possible for civilian to access the FMC article? Thank you Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

I'd like to see it too!

Yep, I thought $1,300 seemed pretty good. Title docs en route to Kim's, waiting to get confirmation from the shippers (CFR Rinkens).

Many thanks for those tips, Leo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

I think my Bel-Air was around 2k, but that included all customs clearance, etc. Plus it came from Vancouver so more miles too.

So glad shes going to be coming back with you, Im looking forward to seeing her!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

Tim, Enjoyed reading the trials and tribulations of your cross country adventure driving a T for the first time. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

Leo said $1600 with transportation from Milwaukee to NJ so Tim what is yours going to cost at $1300 plus 6300 miles to get it there? Tim, I enjoyed every mile of your story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

Give this link a try to see the great write up. Should work for civilians. :-)

https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage/news-and-clipsheet/news/2017/9/sea-to-sea-in -a-model-t--british-author-drives-famous-ford-throu.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

Tony B touched on it. I was going to suggest maybe asking around the VMCC (Veteran Motor Car Club) Great Briton as they are heavily involved with the London to Brighton Run. I would imagine quite a few people there know some of the West Coasters that attend occasionally. I frankly don't know who many of them are, but several people from California do attend that Run some years. The few people I do know that have gone, it has been quite a few years. And I know they worked through someone else that had a broker ship the cars. Their cars are smaller (than even a model T!), and they usually share a container, also from Long Beach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

That was a nice article. Thank you, Peter Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 05:09 am:

Nice one, thanks Peter! Great write-up by Paul Kampe at Ford Online, and very nicely put together.

Thanks for the VMCC tip Wayne, will pursue it if CFR Rinkens don't pan out.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration