OT, sort of: diagnostic equipment tips

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT, sort of: diagnostic equipment tips
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 07:36 am:

I picked up a Sun 920 EET at an auction a week ago for a pretty good price. I was trained on one of those when I was in tech school back in the dawn of time, but over the years have managed to forget most of what I learned. I did buy a manual and have been doing lots of studying to refresh my memory. Most of the hookups are straight forward and easily done on a Model T. However I wondering if anyone out there has a method to hook the coils up to get a fully stacked raster pattern to check for cylinder-to-cylinder consistency. Not a problem with distributor engines, but I haven't figured out how to do this with engines that use multiple individually triggered coils like our Model T's. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 03:21 am:

With engine running, simply hold each spark plug terminal one after the other to check for cylinder to cylinder consistency! You'll get your fully stacked raster pattern!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 03:41 am:

I've got a sun 740 collecting dust in the corner of the work shop, if I remember correctly my father bought it in the mid 60's.
Obsolete technology for the modern cars and far to modern for a T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Palmisano on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

Yes, this can be done. The pickups you need are 6004544. There also a tag with 60046281 on it which may be the whole harness assembly, or the part number for harness that connects 2 6004544 together. I believe these were originally intended for distributor-less ignitions. You will also need a connector that will attach to the lead on the tester. The plastic connectors will need to be cut off the pickups. Then connect all the centers together, and connect all outer shields together. The trigger pickup is attached to cylinder #1. The newly assembled harness will be used on the secondary pickup lead and the four pickups attached to each of the cylinders. This works on a Sun Infra-Red SS-400, and should work on your 920.
sun distributor-less harness
harness assembly
Sun SS-400

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

Tom, Thanks for the info. I'll start tracking these parts down. I contacted Snap On for assistance, but I might as well have talked to stump. Should have known I'd find someone on here who had the answer. Thanks again!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration