My New Coil Box!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: My New Coil Box!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

My "new" Jacobson Brandow coil box with coils arrived today from Georgia and man, is it pretty! It's a restored original with numbers matching lid and box, but whoever did the restoration did a fantastic job! Thanks, Jim Woolf!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

That old wood has some great character. Thanks for showing it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

The stamped numbers had a double function. One, they were a serial number; two, since the lids were a custom fit to each individual box, they kept lids and boxes together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

Looking forward to MY "new" coil box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

Me too - that way I can offset the cost of this one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

Nice box. Why the swap? Did the build sheet state otherwise or was it a preference?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

What are the spring-clip looking things on the bottom?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Walter, yes, the build sheet stated Jacobson Brandow so being a purist (to an extent) I decided to search for the correct one and sell off the Kingston. I must say, I was really bummed when I got the build sheet; I had a perfectly good, original coil box and I know that original JB boxes are not too easy to find. But I got lucky, and one popped up pretty quick. And Peter, the clips on the bottom hold the (I'm assuming ground) posts that are on the bottom of the boxes; instead of being a small button like others, JB coils have this post sticking out that goes through a small hole in the bottom of the box and into the clip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 07:31 am:

Bill:

That pin plugs into the clips that are outside and along the bottom edge of the box. Those clips are not ground but are the power buss that supplies either battery voltage or magneto voltage when the switch is in BAT or MAG position respectfully.

Notice the round cavity in the back of the coil box between the 2 center spark plug connections and slightly below them. That is clearance for the head of the radiator rod that passes through the dash but on all the JB boxes I have seen it is in the wrong place and you might notice that but not to worry, the box itself sits far enough behind the surface of the dash so that there is clearance for the head of the radiator rod without that cavity being there provided that the radiator rod has the correct shallow head. That extra gap is provided by the mounting brackets on either end of the box. You don't want to install the box and have tension across the back surface caused by that radiator rod head hitting the back of the box. That could crack your restored box.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration