1923 Touring Engine trouble

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1923 Touring Engine trouble
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Boniecki on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

I am new to this Model T life, but 4 years ago I (and friends) restored 1923 model T touring. Since then maybe drove 100-200 (5-10 miles) at a time.
recently I decided to drive a bit more and I noticed that once my car warms up a bit (5-10 min of driving) I am loosing power (feels like no engine compression) and black smoke is coming from exhaust. I can no longer make it up the small hills as it simply stalls. (in low gear) When I turn it off and wait for a while or next day its fine again for the first few minutes. I live in Marietta (NW Atlanta), I took it to local restoration place and they could not figure out as well. Any help or advise you experts might have. I hope its a simple thing. Thank you in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

Have tried leaning out your carburetor a bit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

What Jerry says. A model T with original style carburetor has a knob on or under the dashboard that will control the fuel mixture at all speeds. While running, turn it in clockwise until it begins to starve for gas and stall, then back it out about a quarter turn. If that doesn't help, you may have trouble in the carb like high float level. That would also likely cause it to leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Boniecki on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

yes I played with that, but according to some posts here you supposed to keep it rich (some)
I will try again to maybe starve it all together and then restart it with quarter turn.. maybe I am running rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danny_s on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

Might be time to check the compression on
each cylinder. A T always climbs better
with properly sealing valves.Might
be time for a VALVE JOB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

Black smoke is too much fuel. If turning the adjuster clockwise does not cure the problem you may need to check the float seat in the carburetor.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration