Found a 1927 T Engine and Transmission in my yard...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Found a 1927 T Engine and Transmission in my yard...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Hi guys!

Super excited to join you all here. This is my first post, let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

I've always wanted a T... my wish sorta came true.

Found a T engine, transmission, and radiator in my yard that was covered with a tarp! It's a new house (for me) so I have no idea on how it got there other than the previous owner had a small junkyard. Also found some old car headlights (not a T :-( ) and a '39 ford pickup grill (if anyone is in need of one).

Onto the T. Looked up the serial number and I think it's 1927. There was a beat up hood on it that doesn't seem to fit it at all, it's angular and has no slits. The engine crank, although half submerged in leaves, spins freely and the fan even has the leather? belt. Even the peddles are still there.

Just wondering... what do I do with this? I was hoping to find the rest of it somewhere but didn't. I did find the starter point piece by the barn though. What does someone do in this case? Sell it? Keep it? Find a T with no engine?

Well I could do any of that, but what would be the best?

Reading a few old posts it seems like a few of you wouldn't mind an extra for parts laying around either...

Let me know what you guys think!

I'm in northern NH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

Someone in your area probably has more parts of a 1926-27 chassis. With a frame and front and rear axle units, you have the start of a Model T. Other chassis parts can be found at swap meets. A wood depot hack body can be built.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

Your choice whether to sell the parts or buy more Model T parts and restore it. That engine will fit in most Model T's so unless you are a "purist" you can find any Model T which needs an engine. However, if you can find a 27 it would be more authentic. If you decide to build a speedster, it can have any T chassis with engine, transmission and rear axle and you can modify the body or build your own. So you have many choices of what to do. I would, however, go through the engine and check all clearances and check for cracks in the block and head before installing in a car. Perhaps new rings and valves would be in order too.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

Keep looking around the property...and maybe the neighbor's property until you find more parts.
Supposed to be a long winter this year...perhaps you can spend some time in the barn assembling the parts you find, and come spring, you may have a running, humming, moving T ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

Awesome, thanks guys! That was my original thought, finding the parts and putting it together. Only thought I have is what if it was put there for a reason... I don't think so though because the engine is still on the rails and everything like the body was rusted out or something.

What would a body and everything run for? I am thinking around $1000 needing new paint? Where do I look for this stuff?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

Here is a pretty solid looking car with no engine!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-Ford-Model-T-/182757686304?hash=item2a8d34fc20:g:L6 YAAOSwv~NZtZxd&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

Just be glad you don't live in NC. Without a title matching the numbers on what you have it would be impossible to ever register it with the DMV. Probably not a problem where you live.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

If only it was a little less! That is a really nice one however. Anyone local got one? Haha.

I'll probably be getting some money soon for my new "hobby" lol.

Contacted the old owner and found out it was last used in the 60s to split logs or something like that? Been covered since so that's good to know, and also good to know it isn't broken most likely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

The log spltter scenario makes perfect sense with what you described. Many T engines were turned into farm implements (doodlebugs) during the depression and if you found an engine, radiaotr to keep it cool, some sort of hood to keep it dry and a transmission (no photos, so it may be a three pedal hogshead, or it may be a stick shipt aux. transmisission) to run forward and revers as a log splitter. Some sort of rails, may or may not be a T frame.

Some photos would help, but if it's just the engine and the rest is Bubba Motors, it would take a large committment to build a car around that.

There is a market for doodlegugs and farm implements from Model T's and a log splitter in the northeast might have more value that what you could get for a spinning, but not running motor.

6v? 12v? Carb? Some sort of fuel tank laying around somewhere. Could be you have the firewall and tank forward.

If it's too much to figure out how to post photos here, email them to me and I'll post them for you. PM me for email address.

Welcome to the affliction.

Neat find. Photos would help provide some suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

Here's some photos from the other day. It looks a lot better in person. Light coating of rust (like always it seems). Wood is totally rotted. Radiator is bent backwards a little bit from sitting.

No idea on anything, but I think it had a carb. I really have to pull this thing out and see what else is there... I'll have to see about a fuel tank, I doubt it though if I haven't seen it.

http://imgur.com/LFUj5f4
http://imgur.com/8vbNR50

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

And it's even the right year engine for the rolling T that Mike's link has for sale! 1926/27

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

For what it is worth. I think Bob's Antique Auto Parts has a '24 Coupe in decent condition missing an engine. I think he was asking a bit over $3000 for it, or best offer.
The one linked by Mike V would be better and more correct (absolutely correct?) for your engine. However, his has "reserve not met", so no telling what it would really take to get it. And I think Bob's is not very far from you.

Speedsters and depot hacks are the common choice for building up from nothing. Body wise, they are the easiest, often cheapest, and offer many options for what you may want. If you chose to assemble a factory body car, once you commit to a year and model, it limits what you need, and can get more expensive than just buying a complete car. Still a lot of fun to do.
I have "resurrected" several model Ts from less over the years. But everybody knows that I am crazy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

I'd love to get one now, issue is the money. Not saying they are overpriced at all, literally got no money for this right now, this is extremely unplanned.

So out of the choices of either A, selling it, or B, cleaning it and waiting until I get money, what would you guys choose?

I could do either... if I sell it the money would go to a complete one, buuuut you never know what shows up on Craigslist.

Is this engine restorable to working condition? Is a 1927 T body share to find, like in the future will I be able to find a body when needed?

I like getting correct stuff, however both those wood depot and speedsters in my opinions are not... the best looking. I really like the 4 doors. Or the tourings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

That ebay T looks really nice.
I've seen bodies alone for very little less money, or in the case of a Coupe, even more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

You're in a house "new" to you. Are you also new to the area? Since you wrote:

"I've always wanted a T...",

I'd suggest that you seriously consider moving what you found into the barn before snow flies. Let the metal stay there for a year or so, at least until you get to know the neighbors, and they know you. Watch the local weekly papers - the ads on the grocery store bulletin boards when you return the deposit bottles (put the nickels away and don't spend them for a year).

If nothing that interests you arises, you can always sell the find....however, if you sell it now, you may very well have "seller's remorse" by next year.

Have patience, look around...there are still "barn finds" showing up.

Good Luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

That is my exact plan. I would hate to sell it and find one locally for cheap with no engine! Lol

The speedster model is kinda growing on me... so what makes that so much easier to build or find than the others?

Thank you guys for your help, I've got no idea on anything T...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

Oops, never mind it was already mentioned.

Ok then, gonna try and pull it out soon and see how the condition is.

What do engines and radiators and transmissions and everything sell for...? If... IF I decide to sell. I wouldn't sell it for something like $200, but if it's worth $1k that's different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

John - you have another option. You could turn it back into a piece of farm equipment. Would allow you to get into Ts now for a lot less than a vehicle would require (would also give you some initial experience working on a T, something you could take to engine shows and use around your property). As Robert said above, there's a rapidly emerging interest (and market) for these pieces here in the northeast. Ts (and As) made into tractors, cordwood saws, splitters, etc. are all I really do. I might have something you'd be interested in and your engine is exactly what it needs. Feel free to PM me - I'm in Central Massachusetts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

Welcome to the forum John!
If you want to see what you get for $1000 then look at my profile pic. You can get a T for $5000 and just fix the things that are needing repair or you can do what I did and start with junk and end up paying $4000 to fix it or $7-10k to restore it yourself into something beautiful. I think that auction buy-it-now listing is a steal IMO but I can't afford it either. Just throwing some numbers around.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

Haha yeah it's a great deal but just don't have the money right now.

Ron, ill PM you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

You can get a lot of parts and or information by attending the swap meets. There is one in Hershey Pa every year. It is one of the biggest on the eastern part of the country. It should be coming up very soon. Someone who posts here should know the exact date.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 01:19 am:

Hi John,

The Central New Hampshire Model T Club may be a resource for you. I will try to forward our current newsletter to you. Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 06:33 am:

My advice is to look for a chassis and build a speedster. It's a lot easier than trying to build a correct car from nothing and an excellent way to get started. T chassis can usually be found cheap (I'm using an earlier frame on my '27 speedster). A speedster is a much faster way to get to a driveable car as well. Here is a link to the one I am building, it may be awhile before work on it continues as we just got a BAD storm and I'm trying to pick up the pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 06:33 am:

Forgot the link:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/772747.html?1502672054

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 06:39 am:

Thank you Bill!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 07:22 am:

Adding on some of my thoughts here...

I am wanting to keep an eye out for cheap parts I need (Like a frame) while I am getting this engine sorted out.

What year speedster is the easiest to build? I really like the early 20s style without that weird rear end... Originality with the engine is not a huge concern right now. Lol

Thanks again everyone! Your all a huge help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 07:23 am:

Sorry for spamming all these messages.. Wish I could edit.

Chad, thank you! I agree, this looks like a very reasonable and quick way to get a drivable T. I didn't see your post before. Ill check out the link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:02 am:

John, the nice thing about speedsters is that the year is somewhat irrelevant as every single one was home made. Sometimes they were from a kit (you won't find one of those on a budget), sometimes they were from instructions in a magazine and sometimes the builder just stripped parts off his stock T until he had something that looked light and speedy. The earliest ones would be the easiest since they were often nothing more than a firewall, seat and gas tank. Later on as streamlining became popular the bodies became more complex with a lot of boat tails being seen. Materials for speedster bodies can be pre-formed steel, barn boards, or anything in between.

If I was in your spot I would seriously consider slowly going over the engine you have while watching the local craigslist for a whole car. It took two years of watching ads before I got my truck but when I did it was an absolute steal. The deals are out there if you're patient.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:55 am:

John,

Save all the bottle and can deposit money, and go to next year's show with it...

http://vtauto.org/vermont-car-shows/stowe-auto-show/

Maybe towards the end of the day you can find a bargain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

Hahaha David, Ill try! lol

I sell a lot on ebay, so Ill start saving up.

Tim, so the year I see on google images for the speedsters are just engine years I am assuming? That would make since since they are so varied. So engine, frame and pretty much anything on top and you got a speedster.

Thank you again everyone, I am slowly learning. I will be trying to pull the engine out later today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

I think a person would like to know more about what this engine needs before buying any other parts. If it has been sitting since the 60's outside there may be more than just an engine needing fuel and oil to get it going. This would be a great way to learn about the model T during the winter. Find out more about it before collecting any more parts. Once it is made into a running engine it can be used for what ever you desire it to be. Have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Thanks, that's what I plan on doing. When I go over it and check in with you guys to see if it is savavble, then I'll start keeping an eye out for parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

Hi again guys,

Checked it out closer. First off, the radiator shell. It is nickel plated brass. There is flaking nickel all over, so I think I would like it re plated if I decide to keep it. How much does a typical replays cost? I've read something like $200? It has a small nick in the top left corner facing towards you, and happens to have a small hole following it... about a few MMs long. It's is bent out of shape from sitting at an angle.

Also the radiator itself. The top is all cracked and lifting out and the bottom pipe leading to it ripped off as I moved it, so obviously not useable. Does anyone make repros?

It onto the actual engine. Turned the crank handle, as said it was free. Noticed there's a spring and your supposed to push in and turn. Watched it lock in and tried turning, moved very little. Is this normal with an engine that's been sitting so long? The previous owner covered it all with grease, except the top block cover. I scraped away some grease and saw shiny metal or paint.

Pedals are all locked up pretty much. The right one moves very little down, middle moves a little, and the left clutch is it pretty much? Moves back and forth with force. I didn't want to break anything so stopped moving it.

Turns out the owner had it mounted on a frame all along, however it's cut short, so still need a new one :/.

That's all for today! Gonna get some help with my dad and his tractor and will try pulling it out soon. Any tips for this? He has a bucket too for it. Would it be safer trying to fit it on a bucket or just drag it out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

John, it may be time to learn to weld and solder. I've had re-chroming done on another project and $200 sounds right. Yes, there are all kinds or radiator reproductions but you may be able to fix the one you've got since most new ones are expensive. Once the engine is in shelter, remove the plugs and add lubricant to the cylinders. There are all kinds of choices: PB blaster, marvel mystery oil. Sounds like a transmission rebuild too. I have an engine lift so I would lift. The frame may not matter but the crankcase pan does.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

I'll second what David Dufault said. Get it inside! If it's in a dry area you can take your time and decide what you want to do with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Im trying!!! haha.

Right now its covered by the weird hood and a tarp and under trees. It will be fine for a day or two until I can get it out.

Is a rebuild for the transmission easy..? Or doable?

Soldering - no issue.

Welding... I think a neighbor has a welder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

John, the first thing to do if you're looking at rebuilding is to get on one of the parts suppliers' websites and look for the books on rebuilding the engine and transmission for a T. For about fifteen bucks each they go a long way to understanding what you're getting yourself into more importantly they're going to be very helpful when you go to put the thing back together. You'll also be able to take stock of anything that's missing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration