Steering box concerns - need advise

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering box concerns - need advise
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Today I pulled the steering box for the 09. The gear portion of the box was loose on the base, two rivets were quite loose. I can get new rivets but somewhere in the back of my mind I remember problems when the box came loose, causing a serious accident. I remember that the cause was diagnosed as the wear caused by the gear holder rubbing on the brass base.
Was there ever a solution other than replacing the rivets.
What I'm thinking about is thin washer between the brass base and the top of the steering rod to clear the rivet area.
Any other ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 12:35 am:

Tony, I believe the two components were also soft soldered tegether. This has the effect of sealing the gearcase so that lubricant does not get all over everything.

When I rebuilt mine, I cleaned the old solder off and heavily re-tinned both components. Then I used a blowtorch to sweat the two components together before fitting a new set of rivets.

Others may differ.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

I'm sorry not to have the 'puter chops to be able to post links to previous threads. Look for a post by Royce Peterson during the past few months where he details the rebuild of an early steering column with excellent pictures.

You are correct in thinking it's crucial for the gear-case to be firmly riveted to the portion within the column, because if those rivets shear off leaving the gear case to turn freely, you have NO STEERING !!! I have read of at least one serious accident the past few years where this happened. All of us with early two-piece steering boxes should inspect that joint regularly to make sure everything is tight !!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration