What thread on timer and carb swivels?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What thread on timer and carb swivels?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

My understanding is the original timer swivel is a 12/32.

Is the carb swivel the same?

Does anybody know what the thread is on the repops available from Langs? I've emailed them and called but have not received a reply. Hopefully someone here knows. I have what I believe is an original swivel and a couple of modern ones from McMaster Carr, but I don't know what (if any) will work with the ones from Langs.

Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

Gary: Quick check of Lang's catalogue produced this: Swivel Joint End for Commutator Rod
Item Number : 3536
Year : 1909-1921

fwiw, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

Yes, I believe it is Gary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

I am traveling and do not have the original thread Ford used at hand. Another of those oddball size threads Ford used. It's very close to 12-32 and will easily work. I do not know the size Lang's sells.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

When all else fails try the parts book. 7/32 x 32
Within thousandths of #12 and as Ron says, 12-32 works fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

Thanks Layden & Ron - Ron relayed that number to me recently but "it went away" !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

Thanks guys, 12/32 I can do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

The 12-32 thread is the same as on the coil points.

If the one Lang's has is not correct, I may have one. Let me know.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken but the carburetor end of the throttle rod didn't utilize a "swivel" - I was under the impression that the swivel was on the spark lead at the column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

True it is called a "carburetor pull rod adjustment".
An illustrated parts book is a wonderful thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 12:56 am:

Steve-
You are correct, however both rods use the same thread.
The spark uses a swivel, the throttle uses a threaded "L.
I have my threaded "L" end of the throttle on the carburetor end, where it is easier to adjust, but from what I have heard Ford put the throttle adjustable end on the steering column.

Can anyone verify that?

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 11:03 am:

I believe I posted a photo of the carburetor pull rod end within the last two weeks. While at the archives last week I made an important discovery.
I think my photo shows the early and late styles. The early one with the flange had the flange dropped on March 14,1914. There was nothing in the changes that noted when they stopped using this part, but it is believed to be at the end of 1915, as that is the last date I saw on the drawing. The part was obsoleted on 4-15-20.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration