How to Fix a Loose Exhaust Pack Nut Once and For All! :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How to Fix a Loose Exhaust Pack Nut Once and For All! :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Taylor on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

In this video, I show you in how to fix a loose exhaust pack nut that continually likes to work itself loose! I'll show you once and for all how to stop that pesky nut from backing out and altering your exhaust note to sound like a WWII airplane!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvq6b2bZhFY

Enjoy the video :-)

PS. Join us on Facebook :-)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modeltford/

PPS. If you haven't already, here's the website :-)
http://www.fordmodelt.net/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

Best idea I've seen anywhere for ages!....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Invest in a pack nut wrench, and you won't have to go to such extremes! I've been driving T's for over 55 years, and haven't had one come loose yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

If you've got good sharp threads on the manifold and nut, a pack nut wrench will work, but I've seen too many manifolds where if you tried to tighten with a wrench, you would strip the threads that are marginal at best. If you don't have a better manifold, or don't want to pop for a repo, sometimes, you just have to make do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

Yup, Terry and if you don't strip them when you are tightening they might come loose later when your bouncing around driving.

Here's another suggestion for those that may have bad threads on the manifold:

I used a new nut and cut thru one side of the threads. Next I formed a Quality S/S hose clamp around the outside of the nut. I tightened the clamp slightly and carefully started and tightened the nut to the manifold careful not to strip it and last I tightened the hose clamp which clamped the nut very tightly around the manifold threads. The nut clamped tightly has never come loose since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

I have a new nut on mine and have run it some but not driven it yet. I thought about putting an exhaust pipe clamp right against the nut to keep it from "backing off".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

I just use one of these on my '24. Never had a problem with the nut coming off. Anyone else use one?

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/pack-nut-locker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

Yes, good part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

You're right on Larry. I have a crescent wrench that fits the exhaust nut very nicely and is a bit longer than the standard wrench. They don't back off if tightened enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Yes, Cameron.... same idea ... commercial version. I have one, and works well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

Interesting- the pipe nuts on both of my Ts have never come lose and neither of them use the clamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

Like Larry, I have driven many thousands of miles in my T's and have never had a pack nut loosen up. I use a Ford wrench for that purpose, and it does the job without needing any other attachments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 12:05 am:

The reason parts are made, like what is pictured above, is because the person who made the part doesn't understand how to tighten a pack nut, and the person that buys one knows even less!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joerg Walther - FarFarAway (Germany) on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 06:00 am:

I can confirm it works.
After the nut went loose three times in 30 miles I learned the fix from this forum two years ago.
Simple and clever is always the best

!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 06:34 am:

Joerg, with respect, I notice in your picture that the pipe does not meet the manifold squarely. This causes the nut to have only partial contact with the flare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 10:27 am:

The secret to getting a good fit on the pipe to the manifold is to wiggle the pipe as you are tightening the nut. You will feel the pipe seat against the manifold as you tighten. You can't just tighten the nut and expect it to seat against the manifold without doing anything else! It also helps to remove the hot air pipe while doing this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 11:04 am:

Back in the day, owner's could have fixes too for loose nut, or poor flange on the exhaust pipe :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 11:05 am:

The fit of the pipe to the manifold is dependent on the straightness of the frame. Many frames sag at the point where the crankcase ears are attached. Ideally, the frame should be straightened. If not straightened, the pipe must be bent to fit.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration