Ruckstell housing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ruckstell housing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

I was visiting a friend where he stores his stock for making "yard art", welding various pieces together like the thread a few days ago. Laying underneath some stock obscured from sight, I noticed two ruckstell housing. Could anyone tell me what the ruckstell housings are worth so I can make him a reasonable offer.

He is my friend and I do not want to low-ball him. I want to pay him for what they are worth.

I took pictures, but, can not figure it out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

At swap meets they they range from 200-300, for some reason the 26/7 large drum appears to be higher priced. This has been my experience. I have about five housings that I've bought in the past 6 years that fit that price range.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

thank you,

Had no clue!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

They do need to be good, fairly clean, straight housings to be worth that much. But damaged housings are usually worth a bit also as they are desirable enough to be worth being repaired.
Also, the TT Ruckstell housings are not worth much dollars. But still worth saving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

John, Wayne is actually more correct and I should have mentioned that. The axle housing should be in good shape. Also check around for the internals because some of that stuff is still usable if decent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

John T T III, I figured you were pretty right. Just wanted to clarify the condition issue, because it does matter.
I remember nice Ruckstell housings selling for $35. But then, I also remember when a decent usable Ruckstell could be had for $150. Then again, just a few years ago, I saw a damaged Ruckstell housing sell for $100. All it needed was straightening the tube, a significant braze repair to the Ruckstell center housing (broke out where the shifter bolted in), and major repair or replacement of the outer backing plate. Hey, if you need one, you NEED one. I was glad I didn't need it.
However, I have done that and more to put together a good '13 rear end. Another one where even bad stuff is worth some effort to repair.

I think the reason that the '26/'27 large drum Ruckstell housings sell for more than the earlier ones, is that quite a few people building speedsters like to use them for the better brakes at higher speeds (regardless the claimed year of the car). The added demand drives up the price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 10:33 am:

No matter what shape you think a rear end housing is in, have it checked by a knowledgeable person. Frankly, I seldom see a housing that doesn't need straightening! Larry Blair at the Tin Shed in Santa Fe Springs, California does a good job, and the cost is usually around $90-$100.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 11:44 am:

How do you tell if it is 26/7 and/or earlier if you do not have the two next to each other? Any measurements, numbers or tags?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

Large drum ('26-'27) has an 11" backing plate compared to the small drum plate which is 8". The large drum also has a "clipped" edge patent plate from what I've worked on - the small drum is rectangular.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

John, the larger backing plate on a 26-7 housing is pressed metal, riveted to the casting on the end. The small drum backing plate is part of the whole casting. Easy to tell on the outside end.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration