1913 data plate, correct location on the firewall

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1913 data plate, correct location on the firewall
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles F. Bass on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

Can someone advise me as to the correct location of the data plate on the firewall of my 1913 Touring? A measurement form the top and side of the firewall would suffice. Thanks.
Charles Bass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

Charles, There are two distinct styles of warranty plates for the 1913 Ford. Which style do you have? The early style is quite large, while the later style is smaller and carried over into 1914.
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles F. Bass on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

I have the smaller style plate. Thanks Russ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

If you have the correct firewall, you don't need measurements. Just center it over the steering column flange and make sure it covers the choke rod hole. Use a small level to make sure it's straight.

The firewalls had the choke rod hole drilled on both sides, so the same firewall could be used on left or right hand drive cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

Should have mentioned that this method works best with the smaller plate. Too much up and down leeway with the big one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles F. Bass on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

I will center over the column and place it so the that it roughly corresponds to the choke rod hole on the other side. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Lawrence - Nevada City, CA on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

R.V's tips are good but it sounds like you may not have both choke holes drilled on your firewall. Most reproduction firewalls aren't like the factory did them. Your patent plate's lower edge should almost touch the top of the steering column flange. If you go by the location of the choke rod hole on the inside of the car (right side) it will be too high. Remember that the hole is drilled at a downward angle. Use the location of the choke rod hole from under the hood as a guide to locate your patent plate on the left inside location (just above the steering column flange). I hope that is clear. most plates are installed much too high. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Phil pretty much explained what I meant by "correct firewall."

This photo of my '14 might help. It's centered over the column flange but looks a bit skewed because of the camera angle. (Also the firewall is deep red, not the orange that the flash made it seem!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles F. Bass on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

I installed the plate exactly as is shown above. I went back to my photos where I have a good selection of photographic studies of Hershey cars, all of them had the plate in that location. Thanks again for all the help.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration