Model TT flatbed tow truck?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model TT flatbed tow truck?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 07:44 am:

I saw this photo on Steve Jeff's post of the OCF:

See: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/789878.html?1505571789

Anyone know about this particular TT truck? Or existence of such trucks back in the day?

I love the idea. I am just curious of when it developed.

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 08:21 am:

There is an original transporter at the Speedway Motors Museum of speed, Lincoln Nebraska. It may be included on the web site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 08:39 am:

Wow... I hadn't notice the rear tires on that beast!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 08:51 am:

Matt, maybe the owner will post. He just finished this after a few years of chasing parts and restoration. I don't know any history of this setup from back in the day but my tt donated the extended chassis. He did a very nice job obviously. I did tell him it would also look nice with a speedster on the back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth E Kennedy on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 09:09 am:

I'm the owner/ builder of this truck. I built it from a 1926 TT chassis I picked up 3 yrs ago. It has a Olson frame extension that I was lucky enough to come across . Giving it approximately a 144" wheel base. It has a Ruckstell and large case Muncie aux trans. The rear wheels are stock 20" TT with 6.50 tires. I welded up the bed out of aluminum. Its 11' with an electric winch. The roadster cab allows it to fit in a standard height garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charlie haeckel on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

A beautiful truck. You should be very proud and to have it at the OCF is over the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

Jon, thanks for confirming that there are period examples of TT transports. If you or someone else has a picture from the speedway museum I would love to see it.

Kenneth, that is awesome truck! I would love to see more photos! Sometime in the not-too-distant future I may acquire a standard TT truck. I was thinking of doing something like this. But now I realize that the extended wheelbase would be important. I have a acquaintance that got a FABCO extension TT that likely started as a fire truck, he would like to do the same thing.

BTW did that count as one or two vehicles at the OCF?

Thanks,

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

There is picture in a NZ book [ p319; Ford Ahead, History of Colonial Motor Co; by Roger Gardner] which shows 2 new TT truck chassis loaded with a T touring each still attached to their packing case base in 1919. They were driven to point of delivery. Model T's arrived here assembled in boxes up to 1921.
There is no way I would manage to get a picture up on this site! Cheers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Here's a photo of my very good friend, Ron Kipling(now deceased) on the right, the day he bought the "Riverside Special" Fronty powered Model T race car from Chris Egsgard (sp) in California. This was a '24 or '25 Runabout body on a TT chassis which now resides in the Speedy Bill Smith Collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

I have seen photos of a Fordson tractor on the bed of a TT truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Wayne, I would love to see that photo!

Steve that is a cool truck! It looks very tight even for a speedster. A standard car with fenders maybe issue. I spy a weaver crane in the background.

Mark, I imagine tractors would be easier to fit because they're smaller.

Thanks!

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth E Kennedy on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 12:04 am:

Thanks Matt,

I will try to down load a few photos that might interest you. Not sure if they would consider them one or two vehicles for registration. I just drove the TT with the '16 touring on the back, each morning to work around 5:30am at the Antique Vehicle Garage. Parked it at the garage unless I needed to go out on a call or to lunch. that is when the above photo was taken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 12:39 am:

Kenneth,
Thanks for sharing the photos! That is very nicely done. Great idea to use aluminum and plywood making it very light yet strong. The winch and tie downs are prefect for convenience and safety. What a fun truck!

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 01:56 am:

The Olson Extension is a Ford Canada factory product.

It was also sold in Australia, New Zealand and England as the Ford two ton truck chassis.
TTT truck Canada

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 06:28 am:

Wow! That's one awesome tow rig!

Would be perfect for pulling a Pullford Tractor conversion around. ;)

Thanks for sharing!

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

very cool truck, I did something similar to haul my T, but used a 47 Chevy COE. How does the TT handle hauling the T, with the 20 horse engine ? Pretty well, I would guess - just a bit slow ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth E Kennedy on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Thanks Tom,

It handles the T very well. Maintained at steady 30 mph the 14 mile from home the Henry Ford Museum and then back. Both Saturday and Sunday. Hoping it will do better after some tweaking this winter.

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Fahrni on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

Kenneth,

I also have an Olson #9, I have electronic copies of an original Olson brochure, send me a P.M. if you want me to e-mail them. I would love to get dimensions from you for the spring stops that bolt to the side of the Olson frame rail as mine are missing.

-Nathan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 12:02 am:

Kenneth, 30 mph very cool - I am impressed for sure, again very nicely done and a neat TT !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 03:38 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/246084.html?1320842939

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

John, that's cool thanks for posting!

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 10:21 am:

I'm sure the flatbed on the truck that Chris Eggsgard owned was probably more like what they had in the old days. I miss that guy, even thought I didn't see him much, a real character. The last time I saw him, was when Mark Cameron flew out here to look at a 1909 water pump engine that Chris had. Mark bought the engine too, and I made the crate to ship it to Minnesota. It's currently in Marks car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration