OT - How To Stop a Fordson ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - How To Stop a Fordson ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

I' ve now fully restored a 1922 Model F Fordson and all that is needed now is to add gasoline and pull starting it to get it running. New babbit in the mains and rods, bored and sleeved for original pistons, rebuilt coils and gray green paint with red wheels. Then I realized the only wiring is from the magneto terminal to the coil box. So, .....when I'm finished playing with it, how do I cut the engine off? It's designed to crank start on magneto. I've previously restored a '19 Fordson but it has the same type of coil box we're all familiar with on our '17-'22 Model T s. IT has a key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

Turn off the gas or kerosene.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Grab hold of all 4 plug wires - that'll stop 'er!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

Jem, I was thinking that when I wrote my reply! LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

My knowledge of old tractors is very limited, but I remember clearly my grandfathers Caterpillar Two Ton. It, like your Fordson, was crank start and had no switch. The only way to turn it off was to close the gas valve (located in an easy to reach spot next to the carburetor). It would run for a couple of minutes and stop when the carb was empty.

Once, when I was 9 or 10 I monkeyed with it, which was strictly forbidden. I turned the crank. i guess a little gas had seeped past the shut off valve, and the damn thing started. Sacred the poop outta me. Fortunately it only ran for a couple of seconds. Even more fortunate was the fact that Grandpa didn't hear it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

Mark brings up a good point.Any that are start on gas run on kero should be switched back to gas before the engine is stopped!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

This would be a built in means to allow the engine to cool down before shut down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

The carb must be full of gas to restart and any mixing of fuel will make it impossable to start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

George,
My Fordson has a second wire from the mag post to a brass post located at the bottom of the spark rod channel. To kill the engine you move the spark lever past the full retard position for starting and rest the lever on the brass contact, this grounds the mag killing the engine. To re-start remember to move the lever to the starting position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/767180.jpg

This picture show two wires running from the mag post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

George, install an inline kill switch between the mag and the coil box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 07:21 am:

Wouldn't a 17-22 coil box have a switch on the front?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 09:34 am:

My driver truck is a 1976 Chevrolet 1 ton and the switch starts it but won't turn it off so I just put it in low and pop the clutch, electronic ignition so battery doesn't run down. My T I always run on mag and sometimes if I'm at the front and want to kill it I just pull the choke. No battery to run down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan Davis, Prince Albert, SK on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 10:04 am:

On my 28 allis chalmers, there is a post on the mag that you need to ground to kill the engine- I normally just use a screwdriver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 10:56 am:

George

Here are a couple of shots of the original kill switch on my late model Fordson F dash as I was describing above. The first picture is of the spark lever advanced, you can see the round contract at the bottom of the track. It is insulated from the tractor. There is a wire that runs to the mag post on the back side of the contact. The second picture shows the spark lever in the "engine kill" or off position.

For those not familiar with Fordson the spark lever is mounted on the right side of the dash above the tool box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 11:45 am:

Our '26 Fordson switch is the same as Mike's posted above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Kahle on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

I've had a good many years experience with the Fordson model F tractors. In my opinion, once you finally get one to start and run it would be a shame to ever shut it off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

I used to kill mine by pulling choke wire I had running from vaporizer to the dash dash. Also set you up for the next start (theoretically).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

Thank you, Mike Vaughn. That's exactly what I needed to know - and SEE ! On page 18 of my Fordson F owner's manual it simply states, "To stop the motor ground the magneto by means of the spark lever." But I unfortunately don't have that circular appearing cast iron hole in the firewall to insert an insulated brass kill switch beyond full spark retard. But I didn't even realize there are 2 wires emitting from the mag terminal so I can now rig something that'll do the same thing....Thanks for the discussion guys. And Dave, your experiences and inference is well received indeed..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

George,

I don't like to use it without gloves on, bare handed it always shocks me! Not bad but I do feel it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 05:28 am:

Another consideration is how to stop the tractor since it haven't got any brakes..?
Rolling downhill pushed by a big load of firewood could be dangerous - best to keep it in gear and be careful to choose the right gear while still on level ground..

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration