Photo -1910 Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Photo -1910 Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Hanson on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

What's on the running board,if anyone knows?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Acetylene generator. Water in the top tank drips onto carbide chunks in a basket, producing acetylene gas, which is then piped to the headlights. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

Great photo. We don't often see smiles in these.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Note the early double twist horn and the angle of the reed holder, later changed to a more downward angle because of the drivers side opening. Also I think the poor horse in the background is watching the change of things to come.

(Message edited by Jtt3 on September 17, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Smiles like that in 1910? I'd say the dealer gave them the car for free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Let's add a little more light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 05:54 am:

I think Tim was making reference to the smooth appearing surface of the running boards, not the obvious generator. I for one do not see any type or ribbing - it looks to be quite smooth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 07:58 am:

Linoleum covered boards ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 08:39 am:

I think I can see the start of the ribbed pattern near where the front fender connects to the running board.
It is pretty faint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 08:51 am:

The acetylene hose from the carbide generator goes through the splash shield in a funny spot. It looks like it just goes through the side of it anyway. Usually it goes down through the bottom part close to the running board, seems like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Corey, I agree. But maybe this car was produced late in the day on a friday and the worker was in a hurry to get out of the place! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 09:05 am:

I've seen the opening in the splash shield in that same spot on other early T's; Gail Rodda's 1909 for instance. Me thinks the early cars were punched in that area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 09:09 am:

What would be helpful is if someone with a known original 1909/10 splash shield could post a picture or two of that area. I have reproduction splash shields and would love to see what that area looks like up close so I could duplicate it on my 1910.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 10:17 am:

I found a photo of a 1909 yesterday that's almost that good. It's postmarked Oct.25, 1909.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 10:59 am:

I wonder about the color of the tires ? They don't look like whites, but they don't look black either. Maybe red rubber ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 06:38 am:

I have seen many photos of the gas hose entering the apron at that point and chose to do mine exactly the same as in this photo. There are of course many ive seen that go through between the running board and the apron. My T is a Canadian so I based my decision on these model cars and probably it
was as mentioned a Friday afternoon or a personal spot to punch the hole.
Great photo anyway and much appreciated

Alan Long
Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 11:11 am:

Doesn't natural rubber sap come out of the tree white and then turn gray when heated? Were there even "white" tires back in the day or were most all gray? or was this "white" tires thing something that was invented in the 50's and most tires were gray before carbon was added to give tires longer life?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 11:54 am:

I have seen one original "white" tire. I found in an old shed. It was light gray.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Yes I know that you could buy different colored tires even back in the day, dye was added so you could have whatever color they could make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

If I had the skills to post my bride was given a picture of her work place taken in 1910 with a silver dollar size picture of a T-----it looks exactly like posted.
Interesting think it was taken on the east golfing side where there is not a road now. Another car is in the picture it looks like they were racing with the T several car lengths ahead!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration