Why you see so many mechanical horns in old photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Why you see so many mechanical horns in old photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

Recently my Stewart horn lost its plunger. Luckily I happened to have a magneto horn that turned up in a bunch of auction stuff a few years ago. So I took it apart, cleaned out the bug parts and other trash, and painted the pieces. This morning I reassembled the thing, started up the car, and tried out my "new" horn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clXC-wXC3-w

Even adjusted as loud as I could get it, the mag horn doesn't measure up. Compare that sound to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHZCpzrsdEA

Needless to say, I'll be prowling Hershey in search of a good mechanical horn or the parts to fix my Stewart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

Hey Steve,

Noticed that you have a later style crank on your runabout. I think I have an extra crank of the right vintage if you're interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

Still sounds good, though! It cranked up easily, was it warmed up, or did you find and fix the cause of the hard starting when cold?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

Warm start. it's still stubborn when starting cold. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Now you know why Ford put louvers in the hood when they changed to the magneto horn. To let the sound out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

When I got my '24 Touring, it didn't have a horn. My friend had 2 Klaxon 8Cs that needed restoration. He gave me one on the condition that I restore the other for him. I love the sound, and it is always a crowd pleaser! Louder than the stock horns, too. No, it's not factory, but it is a period correct accessory! My car even came with a 1920's Delco Remy horn relay (which still works, and I use), so I suspect that someone added an aftermarket horn way back when. Seems that the louder Klaxon horn was considered by at least some to be an improvement.

I always wanted to hear one of those magneto horns in person. I assume they get louder and change pitch as engine RPM increases?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

Steve,

If it's just the cap on the plunger, I used a prop nut from a ,09 top frame. I drilled the threads and put it in place with JB weld. It looks very much like the original part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

Cameron,

Yes, the magneto horn changes pitch and volume with engine rpm. I'd say the pitch changes more than the volume, but both change. Like Steve said, they're not real loud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 09:13 am:

Cap on the plunger? Nope, the whole dang plunger is gone. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 10:01 am:

It's nothing but a gear rack, isn't it? Have a local hobby machinist make another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Steve,

Sorry to hear that.This was my solution to the missing cap.HornHorn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

There is also a spring at the bottom of the plunger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

And what was your solution to the missing rod?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

Actually it was just the cap that was missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 12:45 am:

On one of mine, the pot metal holding the gears cracked, busted and jammed. I took it apart and made a new piece and it has been working great - used my Smity :-) skills, was not sure I could do it, no machinist - but it came out fairly well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration