TIRES

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TIRES
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PAUL R BOURGEOIS on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL A NOVICE 1913 "T" OWNER WHERE TO BUY GOOD QUALITY TIRES? I GAVE UP ON WHITES & GRAYS. THANKS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

For a '13, don't give up on white tires. Six months ago I bought 4 white tires and the tubes that Lang's required if the whitening warranty is to be effective. I dealt with Ashley who was great. My tires are still as white as they were when I took them out of the wrapping. For a brass car, they totally make it pop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

I purchased all white Wards Riverside tires from Stan Lucas in Long Beach about five years ago and they still look great :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

Bill, do you have a contact for Stan Lucas; I'd like to order some of those pretty tires for my '10 someday!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

Bill Elliott: Just go to the Parts Supplier link on the MTFCA home page & scroll down to Lucas Classic Tires. Stan has been in the business for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

I just checked the Lucas Tires website & it looks like the white Wards Riversides may not be available at this time. Please contact them for more info :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

White and gray tires are a choice, IF you can afford them. If you cannot afford them, they are a dream that one may wish for. They do not wear well, because they lack the carbon black and other ingredients that make tires run for many more miles. This because those ingredients do not allow tires to be white, or light gray.
Because the white and gray tires wear much faster than the black tires do, front end alignment is much more critical in order to avoid rapid wear (I have heard of white tires going bald in about a hundred miles on a front end that was only off a little bit).
Unfortunately, most of the 30X tires available for model Ts are from one factory, in Vietnam. They do not use premium quality materials, and quality control is (?) at best. However, we are grateful to have them available regardless. Even the black tires are good for only somewhere around five to ten thousand miles generally. For most model T owners? That is several years of driving, and they are okay with that. A few of us crazies actually prefer to use thirty to forty year old tires because they were better made.

Any of the model T parts dealers can supply tires, they will most likely be the same tires that Coker Tire sells. Many T people like the "T Driver" tires. A bit cheaper as they are a generic tread, but seem to wear as well as the duplicated treads (most of which require royalty payments added in).

Welcome to the forum! Have you played around antique cars much before? Or is this T a truly new thing for you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Snyder's in Ohio always has stacks of fresh tires IN STOCK ready to ship or pick up. Not sure about white ones, you would have to check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Paul, I agree with Michael. Call Ashley at Langs and she'll set you up. Like Michael, I bought my tires..well I should say got my second set from Ashley as warranty replacements, with the purchase of the "qualified tubes" if you will, and so far, other than road grime they're still white. I've put over 700 miles on 'em, on Pete, my '12 Comm. Roadster P/U & so far and they're doing great.

Like Wayne said, make sure your alignment is spot on. Here's a pic of mine after about 200 miles on them, and they still look exactly like this, even with the little "spikes" on them, so my alignment must be pretty good. Pete rolls smooth as silk and handles like a dream for sure.

And how about a coupla pics of your '13? I have one too, but it has black tires. I always love seeing pics of different '13s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PAUL R BOURGEOIS on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 11:50 pm:

HI GUYS, SINCEREST THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUTS. I REALLY WOULD LIKE THE WHITE OR GRAY TIRES, BUT AT THOSE PRICES WITH SERIOUSLY QUESTIONABLE QUALITY, I GET THE FEELING OF BEING "HAD." THANKS FOR REQUESTING A PICTURE, I WILL GET ONE ON ASAP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PAUL R BOURGEOIS on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

HI GUYS,

I BIT THE BULLET & BOUGHT TWO 30 x 3" UNIVERSAL WHITE TIRES FROM SNYDER TODAY (THANKS, DAVE). BEFORE THAT I HAD A LONG CONVERSATION WITH RUSS AT LUCAS WHO SAID HE HAD THEM BUT DIDN'T & REFERRED ME TO SNYDERS. ANYWAY HE SAYS ALL WHITE 30" TIRES ARE MADE IN VIETNAM NO MATTER WHAT THE BRAND. ALSO, GRAYS ARE GONE FOR GOOD.

WAYNE, I ALWAYS LOVED ANTIQUE CARS & ONCE BROUGHT A '27 AUSTIN ALL THE WAY FROM ASCENSION ISLAND IN THE SOUTH ATLANTIC 40 YEARS AGO. I NEVER RESTORED IT AS I WAS SO BUSY WITH FAMILY & BUSINESS THERE WAS NO TIME.

TIM, WHAT WENT WRONG WITH THE TIRES YOU RETURNED TO SNYDERS?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Lawrence - Nevada City, CA on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

No gray tires ever again? Why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PAUL R BOURGEOIS on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

HE NEVER SAID & I FORGOT TO ASK. I REALLY WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE THEM ON MY CAR.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

Paul, is there a reason you are typing in all capitols ?? It's like you are shouting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PAUL R BOURGEOIS on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

HI GEORGE. SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS, I DO THAT FOR TWO REASONS; IT IS MORE LEGIBLE FOR THOSE OF US WHO ARE VISUALLY CHALLENGED & SECONDLY IT ELIMINATES THINKING ABOUT PROPER CAPITALIZATIONS & ALLOWS ME TO THINK ABOUT CONTENT. THANKS FOR ASKING, REGARDS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

Paul (and anyone else, for that matter),

If you'll send me an instant message with your e-mail address, I'll send you a pdf file of an article I wrote about Model T clincher tires and the differences between the types.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

That's what I thought Paul. When my dad was just getting into the internet, he didn't want to buy a computer,so he got internet tv. He used the Caplock so he could read off the tv across the room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

Paul...the full set previous to the current set I got from Langs. They were an older mfg. date & turned horribly brown within 2 months. Technically they came from Lucas. Ashley Lang was absolutely fantastic in that she bent over backwards working with Lucas for a replacement set. I did have to buy 4 new tubes to go with the new tires which I was more than glad to do. Very happy at the moment! They do need cleaned a bit as I drive this P/U a LOT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 11:13 am:

I just bought a full set of black Firestones for my '13. Lucas didn't have the 30X3's, so I had to order them from Langs, and it cost me $50 to get them shipped. Oh well, they are on the car now, with the correct old time Schrader valve stems too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

My experimental fling with white tires came to a quick end this week. They might have been OK for parades and sedate ice cream shop visits, but country roads ate them up PDQ. I can't show you pictures. That's a sad tale I'll tell later.

The brief version of their demise: I was driving a country road on my way to Bartlesville, about 95 miles east, and had a flat Tuesday afternoon. I was able to remove the tire, which was still intact, and put in a spare tube. But putting the tire back on the wheel was more than one man with short irons could manage, so I had to phone for help. With the tire back on, I spent the night in Peru and drove on to Bartlesville Wednesday morning. I had no further tire trouble in Oklahoma. Having an early Friday morning doctor's appointment, I headed for home yesterday afternoon. About halfway here, in fact a couple of miles closer to home than where I had the Tuesday night flat, I heard a loud bang and observed my left rear tire rolling past me and down the road, and coming to rest against a fence. It is toast. The tube was exploded in several places, but what did it was the tire being worn through the tread and the cords and to the tube.

These are the NOS NZ Firestones I bought because they were cheap. They were beautiful, and great for pictures, but their years on the shelf robbed them of any usefulness for real driving. The one that blew out is the worst, but the others look like they're headed the same way. Some fresh new whites might be much better, but I'm disinclined to spend all that extra money to find out. Unless I find myself unexpectedly rolling in dough, the future looks black.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration