Caswell Plating Kits....have you tried them?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Caswell Plating Kits....have you tried them?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

Just thinking of buying a Caswell Nickel Plating kit to do some smalls. Has anyone tried these kits and are they worth the price? Also, would a T have "black nickel" or bright? Thx in advance..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

I bought their small nickel plating kit for my windshield pivot thumb screws and some tire valve dust covers, it worked great! I chose to dip my parts, I didn't use the plating brush they supply.

Just like painting, surface prep is important - I buffed the parts smooth, then rinsed them with lacquer thinner and let them dry, then was careful not to touch them with my fingers prior to plating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

Same as Mark, used them to "re-nickel" a set of stem covers. Prep on the old parts was just a brief polishing and then lacquer thinner wash, didn't remove all the old nickel plate just put some 'new' nickel on top.

Gave it a kinda older-new look I was after.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

I too have used their smallest nickel plating kit. Works great. Of course the longer the dip the thicker the plate too...

That reminds me I think I have to get new solution.

Also, you can make a quick bath of copper acetate for copper playing by simply heating up some vinegar with a few pieces of copper in it. Don't follow my short instructions look it up if interested! If you want a better more pro plate then you should use copper first, then buff, nickel, then buff again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

So are the directions well explained? I've not dabbled in plating before and I'm a bit concerned of making mistakes with it..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Easy Peasy, you'll do fine. If you don't like the results on your first attempt, just buff it off, reclean, and try again. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

I see that the smallest electroplating kit is $274 plus shipping. What is the break even point? Is this an economical way to do the hubcaps, stem covers and radiator cap?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

They used to sell a small economy kit that cost well under $100.00, but I don't see it on their website any more. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

The small kit is still for sale on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/292012949487?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

I have used an old train transformer in the past. The Nickel plating solution can also be made cheaply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Crosby Webster, NY on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

Mark, Please tell me us how?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 12:54 am:

I'm doing the spark and throttle rods for my '13 now. The last time I did it, it didn't last very long. I'm going to try one more time, and if it doesn't last, I'm going to take the whole steering column apart and get it done right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Mrdeza on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 09:39 am:

Caswell system worked very well for me. I purchased the 1.5 gal copper and 1.5 gal nickel and re-plated everything on my car except the bumpers and trim rings around the lights (too big). All the work is in the polishing. The plating is easy. FYI - If plating over old nickel it is best to do a sulfuric acid wash first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Is there any advantage to using the stove top version?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Mrdeza on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 11:10 am:

I think the electroplating method is best. Solution is held at 110 deg F and takes about an hour to get .001-.002"

Attached is a few of the parts right after copper plate, prior to nickel plating and also a shot of actively nickel plating. I didn't take a post nickel plate shot.
Post Copper Plating
Actively Nickel Plating

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration