Cowl Tank webbing advice.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Cowl Tank webbing advice.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

The last time this tank was out,I suspect the correct webbing was not available. Looks like they used hood webbing.

So what webbing to use??
Some areas are supposed to be riveted

I don't know if the lite multicolored on the top straps, with the longer black webbing against firewall or vice versa ??
The rubber bottom straps , are they riveted ??
Mine were.

I suspect that my car Late 26 (built Oct 26) 27 model. might use the cardboard firewall padding.
All help welcomed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

George,
Our cars were born the very same day. I haven't replaced the webbing yet which is in the same bad shape.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

There are 3 different sets of pairs of pads used for insulating the gas tank in the 1926

All can be bought from Lang's.

290PAD is the rubber pads that split rivet to the underside of the metal clamps that hook to the bracket and the firewall.

The 2917 is web strapping that split rivets to the under cowl brackets above the gas tank, but those were likely riveted prior to the cowl fitting, so in my install I used Seals All adhesive to fix those straps. The gas tank keeps them in place.

And then the 2918A web straps are for the front of the tank against the fire wall. Those are riveted to the fire wall, you will note four small holes on the '26 for those split rivets. Nickel plated head towards the engine, the splits are folded into the webbing material just as you would do the linings on transmission bands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

Just to add, if your firewall is missing the 4 small rivet holes for the firewall webbing pads, then your open car body is later style that came with the cardboard anti-squeak.

Lang's makes a perfect replacement as original, fits just real neat.

{Note the tape edges hanging down from the upper cowl braces that hold the upper webbing anti-squeak, those pieces of tape are temporary holding fast the webbing as the Seals All glue sets up.}

(Message edited by Dan_Treace on September 20, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

Thanks Dan, my body has the four rivet holes. Looking at the pic of webbing, the lite colored webbing on the left came with rivets so it goes against the firewall, mine look a little short to me . The black webbing in the center goes on top straps. and the rubber straps go on the lower straps. Maybe I missed it, but are the rubber straps riveted also ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

Thanks Dan, my body has the four rivet holes. Looking at the pic of webbing, the lite colored webbing on the left came with rivets so it goes against the firewall, mine look a little short to me . The black webbing in the center goes on top straps. and the rubber straps go on the lower straps. Maybe I missed it, but are the rubber straps riveted also ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

George

Yes. Rivet the rubber to the gas tank straps. Pic shows white arrow, there are two holes in the straps for the split rivets. The rubber is molded to fit nicely to the strap with edges that won't slip away from the strap.

Don't know about the colored webbing, seems odd to me. Ford didn't use color :-) I remember using strap webbing that I had on-hand, from a vendor at Hershey, any strap webbing would work.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration