Old speedo cable housing and snapped link

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old speedo cable housing and snapped link
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Ok, so I had an old Stewart speedometer cable housing I pulled from out of the ground. I pulled out the old chain and cleaned the interior with gun cleaning wire brushes. Then I found enough good links and ends to have a complete 5 foot cable with the correct ends, I lubricated the housing interior and also the chain with grease and pulled the chain through and secured the adjustable end.

I jacked up the front wheel and carefully installed one end to the speedo head and the other to the swivel. Gave the wheel a slow turn ... and broke the chain. I'm thinking that the interior of the housing is probably too rough. So ... ordered the modern sleeve and wire cable insert. Anyone need some nice speedometer chain links? Pre lubricated. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

Mark,
When you install a chain link cable, it MUST be "pre-loaded" prior to connecting the cable to the speedometer head. First connect the cable to the swivel, jack up the front wheel and spin the wheel. Once the cable is turning at the speedometer end, connect the cable to the speedometer. I think if you try this, you will save yourself the trouble of installing a modern cable.
I hope this helps, Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

Hey Russ ... that's what I thought I did. And there was no undue pressure when I attached to the speedometer. But it just didn't survive hand turning once it was together. I have ordered the modern cable ... which is how I did my last Stewart 160. Like I said, I think the interior of the housing was just not smooth enough inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 09:27 am:

So, are the links still available?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 10:59 am:

You will have to find old links. I'm pretty sure Russ has some. I think what Russ is trying to say above is, if you preload them as he says, it probably makes all the links a bit shorter in total length? I've never done this, and have links in all of my T's with no problems. The links work very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

I have a Stewart 100 and done just as Russ has said above. If you don't, the swivel is "pushing" the links instead of "pulling" the links in the cable. The links will stand the slow speed reverse when you back the car up but not driving forward at road speed.

"Pushing" the links at speed will bind and snap one of the links faster than jack sprat. The only time I have ever broken a link was after a mechanic worked on my '14, disconnected the speedometer and failed to "pre-load" the chain links. Russ got me another link, I laid the chain (pre-load) and haven't had a problem in thousands of miles.

You are probably just a link away from a functional Stewart speedometer setup.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

When you go in reverse it doesn't unwind the links? I've got all the parts to my speedometer except the L-bracket from the spindle arm and the part from that to the swivel and I'll be ready to hook mine up. I want to do it right so they don't break.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration