Visiting a Museum in Tacoma Wa

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Visiting a Museum in Tacoma Wa
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Norton on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

I'm sure most of you have heard or seem the Lemay Family Collection of vehicles in Tacoma, Wa! Being a newbie here on the forum I'm sure someone has posted this before. If not it's worth the time to see this guys collection of 500 plus vehicles and stuff. Just an FYI Check it out if you can!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Gary,

As a little kid, Mike Conrad would visit the Lemay Family Museum once a year when it was open to the Public.

Now, he is a volunteer & has been for many years.

He started a Model T education & driver program with assistance of the museum about (5) years ago - he met me this past Sunday in his Model T & gave me a first class tour.

It is - by far- the finest volunteer staffed automobilia related museum I have had ever visited - there are only (3) paid staff members.

Harold LeMay was absolutely incredible - his son Doug carries on the tradition.

For me - when I am in the Tacoma, WA area - I will make it a point to visit again and again ...

The Lemay Family Museum at Maryville.

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Norton on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 12:07 am:

Jim! I agree whole heartedly. Living in Michigan I've been to the Gilmore Car Museum several times and still haven't seen it all. But like you I can't wait to come and visit my son again and go to the Lemays Family Museum again. The history of the Mary Mount Military buildings in its self is really neat ( I mean to have so many cars you have to put some in the boys shower room).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 01:30 am:

Gary,

You have to have Mike as a guide - he is so enthusiastic & knowledgeable - plus he grew up there and remembers Harold when he was alive.

They have obscure collections on display like outboard motors and spray hose nozzles - donations that they found room for.

There is a Pullman Train Car that is 60 to 80 feet long out by the motor home collection I have to see inside of on my next visit.

It is past my bedtime here in Eugene, OR - thinking about that place makes me wanna turn around & head back up to Tacoma tomorrow....

It was donated - when Doug found out how much it would cost to transport to the museum he fashioned some way to tow the thing & maneuvered it into the covered storage ..... somehow

What just blows me away - the quality of the restoration work done by volunteers under the direction of one paid staff member.

The Lemay Family gave back big time to the community - when they bought the church property they offered to let the nuns stay there as long as they wanted to.

I watched a looped video of folks recalling Harold when he was alive - how he enlisted both employees & friends on their days off to go get cars.

Harold was just like me in a way - he was resourceful & thrifty even when he had money in his later years - I just don't have the money part ..... :-)

You need to see his tow rig - the over the top blue suburban & the home made open trailer with garage door on a track !

I really wanted to meet his son Doug Lemay - maybe another time.

That would be an excellent day stop for an MTFCA Tour.

FreighTer Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration