Strange noise in low gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Strange noise in low gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 08:54 am:

So, the '23 finally arrived. I test drove it around the block in low gear and before I could even make it all the way around, there was a strange noise like I ran over something and it scraped the bottom of the chassis and floorboard! I even turned around to see if there was something in the road but, there was not. When I heard the noise I took my foot off the clutch pedal. The noise went away. After I faced forward again, I pressed the clutch pedal again and heard the same noise again! I even turned around a second time to see if there was anything in the road that perhaps hung up on the chassis, nope. I pressed the clutch a third time and no more noise but, it seems that the clutch pedal is somehow easier to hold down. The car still moves in low and high. Later in the day, I took it around the block a second time and there was no noise but, the clutch feels like it's too easy to hold down to me. I have been away from Ts for about 9 years so, I'm a little fuzzy about them and need to relearn things. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. This weekend I will try to get the cover off the transmission and inspect. I don't want to drive it till I find out what's going on here.

Thank you,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Pull the cover and inspect the low drum but especially the triple gears. Sounds like bad news from your description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 11:16 am:

Do you know what kind of bands the car has? From your description it sounds like you have "band chatter". If the bands were new, it might just be seating in and no problem. However I think the idea of inspecting the inside of the transmission is a good one.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 11:18 am:

Have the thrust washers been replaced in the rear end? I had similar problems with a `24 roadster---misalignment with the ring and pinion after the babbit thrust washer deteriorated---Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Paul has a point - rear axle noises often transmit up the driveshaft and sound like transmission trouble. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

The seller had told me he had the car for a little over two years and during that time he hadn't done anything to the drivetrain.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Doesn't the terrible sound that a missing thrust washer makes usually happen during braking?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

In my experience the misalignment was kind of erratic---the car ran pretty well but biggest indication was when turning. seems like the differential was OK most of the time....but like Willis states---the trans seemed to be acting up. Whatever else may be wrong, those thrust washers NEED to be replaced. -----Good luck! paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Could be a triple gear bushing really worn and causing the gear to have to much movement.
Or it could be someone in the past repaired or rebuilt the transmission and used different triple gears in it. That will cause a low to high pitched whine when going into low. Been there and done that.
Hope its nothing really serious and done other damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 08:04 am:

I spoke with the seller and he said the bands are Kevlar. So, is that a good thing or not? Haven't had time to look into the noise further as the oil pan gasket is leaking bad and also, a fuel leak. Rubber fuel line runs from the tank to the carburetor if you can believe that! I want to put that all back to stock so, to fix the gas leak I need to change the rubber hose first and pick up a sediment bulb.

Willis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration