End play

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: End play
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 09:01 am:

Pulled the engine and Mr. Duggar and I, tore into the transmission. We found that the rear main bearing had 30 thousands end play. What is too much?
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 10:04 am:

Yes, too much. A new main cap will fix that. However, it needs to be fitted, AND it will be nearly impossible to fit properly if the crankshaft thrust faces are heavily grooved, as most are... The cap has to be narrowed so much to pass over the high spots on the thrust faces, that when in place, it now falls into the wear grooves and you're just as loose as you were before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

I have used the shim that goes behind the crank pulley to close the end play and make the magneto work as a temporary measure pending a full engine rebuild. Temporary as in 5 years. I actually wore one out and had to install a second one in one of my cars before I finally tore it down and did it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

I had it running before pulling the engine out to address a transmission issue. It ran smooth with very little noise. I check the rod caps and they had no shims but plastigauged at .002. The only engine issue is the end play.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

Val, are the shims your talking about available thru one of the parts suppliers?
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Hi Robert,

Langs has 'em:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3030SHIM.aspx

Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 10:09 am:

When the car is in high the clutch spring wants to push the flywheel/crankshaft to the front when in low/reverse/neutral it wants to pull it back. Much of the wear would be on the rear thrust surface.(see *)
Adding one of those above things is going to close up the gap on the magneto because you are now pulling the flywheel/crank shaft forward closer to the mag coil ring.
Don't forget, if the pulley is not rock solid, it's going to be moving back and forth because it is now acting as a thrust surface.
*What was said above about the wear/cupped area on the crankshaft flange, this is sometimes overlooked on a rebuild. Unless the crank is new most of them are worn/cupped in the area the bearing thrust rides against. It needs to be as smooth as the crankshaft. Any roughness or ridges is going to act like sand paper and wear the rear thrust. As it is, Ford only put thrust on the cap. It should have been at on both the cap and block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

I used to place a few bronze washers on the crank but that required removing the pulley. Now that the parts suppliers have the shim available that does not require removing the pulley I use that because it is so much easier. Langs has them and I find that they last for a years touring or more.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration