Head bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Head bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

What is a good torque setting for the head bolts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

https://www.google.com/search?q=head+bolt+torque+mtfca&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS737US737& oq=head+bolt+torque+mtfca&aqs=chrome..69i57.4702j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Generally 45 to 50 lbs. . Done in increments . 20/30/40/45.
You didn't say what kind of head you have. Above is for iron. Start up drive for thirty miles or so. Let engine cool down overbite and re torque cold engine Check again after 5 to 700 miles or next oil change.
Aluminum has a slightly different procedure. Torque to 45 only and use waters under bolt caps so head doesn't get gawked up. Retorque with engine hot.

Try to use NEW head bolts. And no lube of unyoking on the threads.
Clean out the boltholes real good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 01:45 pm:

Most important is to torque the center bolts first, in sequence.

That gasket is narrow between the center cylinders, where most gaskets give it up.

Use of a gasket sealer , like CopperCoat or heavy metallic pigment aluminum enamel spray paint is helpful for lasting results.

As for aluminum heads, makers say re-torque to setting used after motor cools down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

Yep, reverse what George posted and you will have it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

For years I never used a torque wrench. When I was younger an old mechanic told me to make sure you start in the center and work your way out and tighten down evenly until they are 'good and tight'.

I use a torque wrench now which is the best way.
The key is tighten them down evenly and start from the middle.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration