True-Fire contact information

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: True-Fire contact information
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Does anyone know how to contact True-Fire, I am having a problem starting my '26 touring which has that system installed. I have check the website, but it does not list a phone number or email address. I have tried to call the number listed on my paperwork 203-245-4669 and I get a recording saying that number is no longer in service.

Thank you for your help in advance,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS700US700&q=bittner+contact+mtfca&o q=bittner+contact+mtfca&gs_l=psy-ab.3...5192.15003.0.16465.24.24.0.0.0.0.272.364 1.0j15j5.20.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..7.15.2674...0j35i39k1j0i22i30k1j0i20i263k1j0 i67k1j33i160k1.0.n2tQSBJNEoY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

Is it just me or is there people regularly having trouble with this gismo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

Warren,
did you try this email?

By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 02:07 am:
Try this, it was good 6months go. MrBittner's wife does most of the communication, Mr Bittner does have a day job so give a day or two.
dana.s.bittner@icloud.com

By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 09:46 am:
Alan, oops, misunderstood your post. I forgot Ed also sold coils.

Keith, you're right, it's a good product, while I didn't put T.F. on my '20 it came with it from previous second owner, it works well as long as I keep all the contacts good and clean. Car has no mag, so can't go back to original until engine gets rebuilt, and it's been done not that long/miles ago so that's not in the cards. If the TF goes, I'll have to put in an e-timer.

By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 08:21 pm:
I spoke with a friend today that deals with Bittner Engineering. They are still in business and he still buys from them. The phone has been disconnected for at least two years. The E-mail works as of two days ago. Sometimes it take a while for an answer.
By brass car guy on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 11:37 pm:
If you do a search I posted a good phone number for Bittner several months ago. I looked in my files and can not find it, but its is here in history.

For what its worth I have 4 Bittner systems and would not own or run a T without them. I did have an issue with one system I hooked it up wrong and toasted it. I sent to off for repair and it was returned in 2 weeks fixed and ready for "correct installation". It's in my barn fresh '12 and now have nearly 800 miles and it never misses a beat.

One of the features I like is the fact that the system fires 2 cylinder at a time and that more often than not gives me free starts.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Mine works flawlessly. I'm guessing that those with problems also have other problems with their ignition. Every subsection of the ignition system must be in good condition - not just any one particular part.

Dash Switch
Switch Wiring Harness
Coilbox Terminals
Timer Harness
Timer
Spark Advance rod - correct retard and no slop
Timing Cover plate

All connections bright and tight - everywhere. That doesn't mean take a brush to your terminal block etc and shine them up. It means take every single connection apart. Buff the eyelets bright. Put each wire back and tighten. Everything - not just what's easy to get at. If you don't want to bother centering your cover plate, then don't even bother with anything else. Just drive it into the ground.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

Betsy came to me without her magneto and with a Truefire installed, it works great. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 07:49 am:

Had one in our 27 speedster as well and it never gave any problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 09:38 am:

One thing I found with the Truefire - you MUST check the timing per their instructions, compared to a stock timer you will almost surely find that you have to lengthen the timing rod to get the unit properly timed.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/675109.html?1473784166

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

Thanks to all who took the time to answer with your helpful answers. I bought the car last December with the True-Fire system installed and never had a problem until I installed a new head gasket. Last Sunday a friend stopped by and we check the spark at each plug, 1 & 3 worked fine, but 2 & 4 we had nothing.

I think Bill in Adelaida Calif, said "One of the features I like is the fact that the system fires 2 cylinder at a time and that more often than not gives me free starts". I didn't know that, however I have never had a free start with True-Fire.

Special: Thank you to my good friend Dave DeFault, for all the work looking up all that information.

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

Glad to help, Warren.

Many others have helped me...have to keep the momentum going!

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

That spark is divided between two cylinders and tied together by the engine connection.

It is very important to have the spark plug gaps the same and if there is a gap in the coil box between either TrueFire contact and a brass contact on the coil box, part of the spark can be lost there, with not enough left to share with the other two spark plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

I highly recommend that you contact Bittner and send your unit in for repair, but -

If for some reason you can't get your unit repaired by Bittner and you want to attempt some diagnosis and repair yourself, here is some info.

The Truefire uses one coil pack from a Ford Ranger pickup. The Ranger pickup uses two spark plugs per cylinder, so it has two coil packs.

This site may be of some help with your problem as long as you remember that the T only has one spark plug per cylinder, therefore it only uses one coil pack:

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/2.3L/icm-and-crank-sensor-tests-3

Here is an older thread that contains the part number and some other info:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/136636.html

pic

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

There you go Warren...the weekend's work all laid out for you.

(Ice cream at Isley's as your reward when you get it finished! :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 06:18 am:

Thank you James & Mark and all others, I have sent an email to dana.s.bittner@icloud.com .

Dave I hope to see you there, Isley's is a great place to go for ice cream.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Also, what mine was doing was not getting a good contact from the bottom power stop in my coil box. It got to the point where I had to constantly pull up all the fingers, they just wouldn't keep their tension. Poor copper/bronze repos from long ago. John Regan's replacement are better and will solve the problem. In the mean time I attached a jumper wire to the coil and fished through the bottom of my 26 box and attached it to the + bolt on bottom of box. Sorry can't find my pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 07:06 am:

Thanks again to everyone, I got an email from Dana saying that my info and photos have been sent to Ed and he will get back to me soon.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

I have a true fire set up and it has worked perfectly.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration