1909-10 Pitman Arm

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1909-10 Pitman Arm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

We started a discussion on another post pertaining to the length of the pitman arm for the first 34,600 cars or up to December 19, 1910. Could someone post photos of the correct pitman arm with measurements for these cars. I believe I have a later one on my 09 as the drag link comes in contact with the upper side of the wishbone arm. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

I have this photo in a file on my computer. I got it off of this forum. I think it was posted by Kim Dobbins a while back, but I am nit certain.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

Thanks Herb for posting. I wish we had some measurements. I would also like to know what is the clearance between the drag link and the front radius rod or wishbone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

I have one besides the one on my September 1909 car. They are both identical. It measures 4 3/4 Inch from center of hole for the shaft to the center of the ball. The later one measures 5 1/8 inch. The early arm arm has an almost a rectangular shape. I would post a picture if I knew how

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 01:15 am:

The pictured pitman arm if from my 1909 touring #314.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 02:18 am:

Here's a thread where RV posted the measurements for all years: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/452557.html?1402878003

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 07:21 am:

Thanks you all for commenting. The dimensions for the 1909 and the 1910 are quite different. Not sure when nor why that change was made, does anyone know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 11:23 am:

My understanding is that the pictured pitman arm posted by Herb (off of Kim's #314) is representative of the first 2500 cars, according to RV's post that would have a length of 3 1/2" from center of ball to center of tapered hole measured at right angles. A second type was used from 2500 until car number 34,600. RV shows the second spindle arm to have 4 1/2 inches from center of ball to center of tapered hole. Does anyone know why this change was made? Am I correct in my understanding here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

Daniel, the original pitman arm that came off my Feb., 1910 T is clearly marked T929, and measures exactly as R.V. states in his thread; 2 27/32" one way and 4 1/2" the other way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 08:36 am:

Bill, does your drag link clear the wishbone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:32 am:

I understand the need the correct pitman arm for your year, but, up to 1919 all cars had the wish bone over the axle. If your drag link is rubbing I would suggest looking for something that is bent. Except for the torpedo and casting changes everything else in the system should be the same for open cars up to that time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

Daniel, no rubbing as far as I can remember - right now my car is down to the bare frame!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration