Touring sedan drivers door

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Touring sedan drivers door
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george loranger on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

I have a 1921 3 door touring sedan and am thinking of making a drivers door by cutting around the outline and adding the necessary wood structure. I am asking if any one has done this and is it easier to get in with a rucksell shift lever in the middle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

George

I will assume with 3 doors you have a touring. There is no door pillars on the driver's side similar to the passenger side, so there will be some fabrication required to the wood structure. Not to mention the metal fabrication to wrap the body around the corner to finish off the door opening. Once you have that done, now you have to negotiate past the emergency brake. Not a job that I would personally undertake for the minimal rewards. I know a couple of folks with Canadian cars (4 doors), and none of them enter on the driver's side due to the emergency brake and the proximity of the steering wheel to the seat.

Why not convert your center shift to a lefthand shift through the emergency brake hole and continue to get in on the passenger's side? Life will be a whole lot easier...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Much simpler to simply use a left side Ruckstell shifter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

I would suggest that you try entering and exiting a 26 or 27. Then if you can find someone with an earlier Canadian T, try entering it. Problem with a door on the driver's side is that you need to get over the door post while going around the parking brake lever and under the steering column. I can do it with difficulty due to my size and build, but anyone larger than I would have a very hard time. The reason for the door on the Canadian T is that the same body can be used with left or right hand drive.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

They are fairly rare, but after-market accessory driver's doors were sold back in the model T's day. It would be nicer if you could find and restore one of those into your car. However, making one yourself (using a standard front passenger's door) would also work, and that was also done more than a few times back in the T's day.
If you also used a fatman steering wheel (to swing somewhat out of the way), should make getting in a little easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/259674.html

Older post on accessory drivers door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 08:42 am:

There is no such thing! It's either a touring or a sedan!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Larry is correct about Model T's. The term touring sedan was used in the thirties. Here is one:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 10:13 am:

OT in the 30's a Touring Sedan had a larger trunk to hold your luggage, the bump you can just see on the back of the Packard in above photo. The around town sedan had a more flat back.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration