A couple pictures from the internet archive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: A couple pictures from the internet archive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

I don't know if this has been posted

This is Goddard with one of his early rockets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Thanks for posting, Fred ! ?!? What is going on with the biplane ??? Looks like the T chassis is right hand drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

Rich, That is a starter for the plane. Often called a "Huck's" starter. There have been several threads over the years here about them. The great war (WWI) and throughout the '20s, there were hundreds of such trucks at airports all over the world. I don't know if that particular picture has been posted here or not, but several others have been. One of our regular posters has recreated a couple of these trucks and made them fully operational for use in aircraft museums around the world. And when I say "around the world, one of them I think went to England (?), one to Canada. A video was previously linked showing one of his trucks starting vintage planes.

The other photo of Goddard with one of his rockets has been posted here before. An amazing blend of new technologies! The model T, the ultimate icon of modern man and his step into the modern age, which at that time had been only thirty years earlier, pulling a trailer with an experimental rocket by the 'father of rocketry', which in thirty more years would be putting the first man-made satellites in orbit around the earth.
Amazing.

Rich, (I will try to answer your email tonight.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

Ah ! At first I did t see the prop on the plane ! So, how did this work ? Some kind of PTO off the T ? I see the chain drive to the link on the propellor shaft. Makes sense, rather than ground crew giving the prop a spin by hand ! (And you guys thing cranking right-handed is dangerous !! ; ). )

(Wayne, looking forward to that !)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 09:26 am:

If you Google "Huck starter mechanism + MTFCA Forum" many previous posts will show up.

Here's one of the best picture sites: http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView /articleId/381/language/en-US/The-Moment--First-Hucks-Start-in-70-Years.aspx

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 10:10 am:

Didn't a form regular build a replica of the Huck's starter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 11:31 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/201345.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

Thank you Richard, that is the one

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration