I hope I didn't screw up. But I have needed a kick in the butt to get started back on my T projects and I met a fellow a couple months back that told me he had some parts.
He had bought a restored T from a friend of mine in 1974 and then bought a parts stash from a old man at that time. He has since sold the T as he is 90 and his wife that rode with him is gone.
These parts are rebuilt or nos from back in the 60's from my understanding.
The generator was functional when removed and was replaced by a 12 volt alternator.
I got 4 rebuilt rods that came from Napa. I got 1 of each of the main caps, 4 new old stock Hyatt bearings for the rear axle and a good used 1 with new sleeve. and the generator.
I don't know if the rods are standard or under size. They are not Xed.
If I can't use them, I will ebay them and let that help cover the cost of rods I can use.
I'd say "Ya Done Good ,,Mac"......
You should be able to use all that stuff. It all looks great! The bearings, both rods and main caps, will need to checked/fitted to a crankshaft, which also first needs to be checked for general condition (and cracks?). But you would have to do that with new rods and main caps also. Checking the fit to a crankshaft, and then measuring the crankshaft with micrometers to determine its size, should tell you the size of the bearings.Most T rods did not have the oil "X" put in. Some people prefer doing that, some do not.
Any good automotive machine shop should be able to measure and refit your bearings to an appropriate crank. The worst size bearings to get are standards, because finding a standard crank anymore is difficult. Under-size bearings can be easily resized larger, larger bearings cannot so easily be made under-size. I have been doing refitting of Babbitt bearings by hand most of my life. A bit slow, but costs little to nothing. Basically, a slow process of measure, fit, scrape, measure, fit, scrape, sometimes for days.
I usually buy decent looking bearings at swap meets, then chose a close to fit, then resize by hand to put engines together. What you got should be much better!
It has been 2 or 3 years since i did anything with the engine block that is for the speedster project and I don't remember much about any measurements I may have made at that time.I hope to get to work on it some soon. The fellow sold me the stuff at 1978 catalog prices. actually a bit cheaper and I felt I did ok.
I would like to find out when Napa last sold rebabbited rods. I bet it has been a decade or 2
Rayloc is still around but most likely not doing babbitt any longer. Rayloc is a division of GPC; The same holding company that owns NAPA.
Nice to see you getting your motivation back Mack !!
Mack; I think it is high time you disappeared into the garage for a couple of weeks R&R. Good job best of luck
Wayne, a couple of years ago I measured a crankshaft and it was an odd size, something like 1.234”, but round within a thou. So I bought some 1.230” rods and scraped them to fit. As you say, it took all day, but I ended up with about 85% coverage when using Prussian blue. It is still running well today. Not really an economic proposition, but was a good learning experience.
I will have to get a little help with measuring as I don't trust my reading on those persice things.
Tony B, I think everybody should fit a bearing that way at least once. I find I enjoy doing it. If a block has good mains, I check alignment, even that can be corrected by hand, usually do the rest of the engine that way.
Well I installed the generator Wednesday on my pickup project and put a 6 volt battery on the running board and hooked up everything and the generator works.Since the t pickup is setup for 12 volt I ordered a 12 volt regulator from langs today. I will be able to charge the battery with the engine!
So at least the money spent on the generator was not a waste. i paid a 100 for it. Had recently been rebuilt before it was removed and stored. So it should be in decent shape for a while now.