Needed: 1913 Carburetor before Hershey!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Needed: 1913 Carburetor before Hershey!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles F. Bass on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

I am preparing my 1913 Touring for Hershey and am wrestling with a seemingly irreparable carburetor problem: I have an early Holley Model G (I know it is not right for '13) which worked fine until I changed the float valve because the unit leaked . Now that I have taken the carburetor apart a dozen times, I realize that this problem may have been due to mis-adjustment of the float itself.

Anyway, now, the car starts and sounds great, but only runs for about 5 seconds before it stops: choke, 1/2 crank, choke, 1/2 crank, then 1/2 crank and it pops right off.. for 5 or so seconds.

I have set the float so that the "puddle" is just where it should be, no leaking, still not working.

I notice that the venturi is not held in with any kind of ring or screw. Throttle is fine, new gaskets, nice seal to the intake manifold.

If any of you T experts have any ideas, I am all ears! I only have a week to correct this issue as I am planning to run the car at Hershey.

Alternatively, if anyone has a carburetor (preferably the correct year) that they would be willing to sell me (or even loan me), I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Charles Bass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

I sent you a PM, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

If the little wire retaining ring that holds the venturi in is missing then it will raise up when the motor starts causing it to die I'm sure, unless that is the old pot metal venturi and it's swelled and stuck in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

Sent a PM and an email, Charles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles F. Bass on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

Ok, that missing wire retaining ring may be the problem. That ring must have come out even though I never saw it.. The venturi has about a 3/16" up and down movement without it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration