Assistance with timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Assistance with timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Ok I am having some difficulty with the timer rod and getting it bent correctly so that I have full advance and retard. Anybody have a good photo or two of the setup on the engine showing the bends from the timer to the steering column? Maybe something like a diagram that shows the bends that I can print out on an 8.5"x 11" paper and lay my rod on to come up with the correct bends?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

First off the timer lever generally does not move the full range of the quadrant under the steering wheel while running at speed. While the rods are bent in a general form you are more concerned with getting the timing rod bent to where if fires just before TDC on start up with the lever at the top. Most of the time the lever will only be pulled 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down the quadrant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 01:11 am:

I don't have a picture as you describe it, but the rod is over a foot long and wouldn't fit actual size on 8" x 11" anyway. If the timer is set correctly and the rod is bent to fit it with the spark lever all the way up, you will have all the adjustment needed. You just have to make sure it's bent to miss the water pipe and not ground against the top timer terminal.

If you need any help with setting the timing, it's here: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG97.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 08:05 am:

One correction. At start up it should fire just after TDC to prevent kick back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 08:21 am:

Yes, it should be 15 past TDC as #6 in the link says.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 09:57 am:

Re "where if fires just before TDC on start up" Ouch! sorry I did not see that before I published. That was incorrect, it should be AFTER TOP DEAD CENTER. Thank you guys for correcting that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

Mark G, I read it and didn't see it either. My brain knew what you were wanting to say. :-)

Mark L, does this help? Timer control rod is about half way down and rusted tight.

rod

rod

(Message edited by Duey_C on September 23, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

Thanks guys, this helps, trying to get it right on a new engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

I forgot, thanks to Steve also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

Here's an older discussion on this topic, pointing out the front radiator hose shouldn't be too long - the rod should be able to go under the metal part of the water connection.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/184041.html?1295888645

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration