Drain or vent ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Drain or vent ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent c bassani on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 12:11 am:

can anyone tell me if this is original ? i get a few drops of oil out of it every time i shut the engine down1926 T  starter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 12:19 am:

There is an oil drain hole in that location but someone has added a drain tube, not original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 12:22 am:

It appears someone has added an oil drain on your starter. I'm not sure if there is a weeping hole for oil on any T model starter I've seen. Perhaps it was done to help prevent to much oil getting into the starter through a loose bearing seal and building up soaking the windings. I believe it's one of those shade tree mechanic ideas that may help get by until someone could afford to redo it. First time I've seen that sort of neat idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 08:33 am:

Gentlemen,

I think a closer look is in order. I believe that is the starter and not the generator. The hose appears to be on the left side of the engine, at the front side of the magneto well of the oil pan. Note the magneto well and wish bone.

I believe the photo was taken looking up, from underneath the driver's side running board. Even if the photo was reversed, the generator is no where near the magneto well.

Still, I like the idea. Keep the oil off of the engine parts.

Just from my limited experience.

Good Luck,
Terry Miller

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 09:12 am:

Hey Terry, you made me read this twice checking to see if I made a mistake when I posted my thoughts. Where did you see generator in any of the comments? You're making me think I have ole timers, ha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 09:33 am:

The oil seal for the starter is less than $6. I wouldn't reinstall a starter without one.

You can get the seal here: https://www.modeltford.com/item/5105M.aspx

Then use these instructions to install it: http://cimorelli.com/mtdl/projects/engine/replacing_starter_seal/rightpage.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 10:02 am:

There are "oil drain" holes on the bottom of both starter & generator cases.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 11:12 am:

John,

I am so sorry. Evidently it's ME that has old timer's disease. You wrote starter, TWICE, and I read generator.

Please accept my apology. I will quit posting comments until I have looked it up in the Model T Bible.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 11:53 am:

:-) Your not the only one with OTD! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

The starter is a source of a significant oil leak and I use a CR 6720 seal, available at NAPA. You can get the kit from the suppliers for under $20 and it is a good deal as you get a new bushing, adapted to fit, with it. If you have not done it before, carefully review the manual as the Bendix has to come off before the starter can come out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 05:23 am:

Steven, I would like to access the site you posted with instructions for installing the seal but I get this message:

"You don't have permission to access /mtdl/projects/engine/replacing_starter_seal/rightpage.htm on this server.".

Is there some other way to access the information? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Eric: I sent you a PM containing the text of that webpage you tried to open. If you need the full page, text and photos, reply to my message with your e-mail and I'll send that as an attachment, Good luck, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

Well ok so I'm an idiot! You know I've been T modeling for 37 years and I guess I never realized the weeping hole as a weeping hole. Must be using to much paint or breathing to much fumes. The laugh is on me. I'm the one that needs to read the service manual.
I still think it's a neat idea.

Terry please don't think for a second that I was trying to insult you, if you felt any harm I apologize and will also post this for all to see. It's so funny I will read what I am about to post several times before I do and I still screw it up. That's why I put the Ha at the end. Please continue to post. We need you!
Best John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

John, there is no need for you to apologize. It was me who made the mistake. I hope you accept my apologies.

While I re-read my posts several times, I should be re-reading previous posts to insure my reply is correct.

Cheers,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 12:09 am:

James, I got your PM. Thanks for the info. It sounds like a very worthwhile job to do for the T.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration