How do I disassemble an early coil box?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How do I disassemble an early coil box?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

I have a few early wood coil boxes that I'd like to take apart to repair cracks and replace some panels with parts I have. These boxes also have a couple of loose joints so some of the work is done. Does anyone have a way that has been successful for you? It's my understanding that the glue used to assemble these originally was an animal base product. I don't know if that's correct or not. My goal is not to do more damage at the joint area, so really looking for some real help. Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

Not sure about the glue on the coil boxes but white vinegar dissolves the glue on the antique chairs I have worked on to replace broken rungs. I doubt it will hurt anything so you might give it a try. I use an eye dropper to deliver the vinegar where I want it and just keep soaking it until it comes loose. Sometimes it can take several soakings and a few days to soften up so it can't be rushed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Burg on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

It is probably Hide glue, most things early on were glued with hide glue .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_glue
You can still buy the chips or titebound makes it in a bottle

(Message edited by 1926 on September 23, 2017)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration