Any trick to installing oilers?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Any trick to installing oilers?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

Hi all,

Simple enough question: is there any trick to installing the little oiler cups on the suspension of my T? Looks to me like they ought to just drop into place, but should I be doing anything to make sure I don't lose them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

Use a piece of soft wood to cushion the blow and tap them in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 06:31 pm:

The oilers should be a squeeze fit. Compressing the taper on the oiler is all that holds them in. A soft piece of wood like Mark G says, about six inches long, can help to hold the oiler straight and in place so that they go in straight and compress properly. Doesn't take a heavy blow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

I turned a brass installation tool on the lathe stepped down to hold the lid up so as to not mess up the spring and small enough to go into the body for tapping in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

I take a small rounded head machine screw and thin the sides of the head on the grinder until it fits in the cup. Works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

There are other things to consider. If you are talking about the common press in flip top oilers, Yes, just tap them in, however, when it comes to the ones on the main spring leaf you had better have the oiler positioned properly, or you aren't going to be able to get an oil can to it after you let the spring down to the normal operating position. The Ford service book pictures are useful for this type of application.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 04:47 am:

I rebuilt the rear end in the spring and took the opportunity to do it while it was out. Haven't tried is with parts still in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 08:40 am:

Well that's easy enough. Thanks guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 09:35 am:

James

did it take a 12 or 20 ton press? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 10:03 am:

I can't remember the size socket but choose the one that will fit into the hole but rests on the ridge inside the oiler add an extension and tap in till seated. Fairly simple way, it does help if you take a bit of oil and rub it on the outside of the oiler and clean the the hole in the bushing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration