OT - Name the carburator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Name the carburator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Having trouble with a positive ID on this carb. No name on it but all the parts are stamped GA followed by a number

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

How About Fred? Seems like a good name for a carb!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

Hey. I don't think Fred is a good name for a carburator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

We could call it a Dimock Mixer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

That is a very unusual carburetor. I have never seen one like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

Yes, it's very early. Supposedly from a 1905 Reo, but I'm not sure

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

We have a 17 year old cow named Fred. I think it's a perfectly good name for a carburetor. Just think Holley, Carter, Rochester, Fred and more

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Back in the 60's a fellow looking at the remains of a 1908 REO at a show told us "You could make a better carburetor out of a tin can that what they used. There was only one guy that could repair a carburetor and he lived in Salt Lake City. And you had to call him Mister."
Carbs were pretty primitive back then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Results from Hershey on the carb. Noone recognized it but someone who seemed to know what he was talking about said it was made up out of two different carbs and from the huge amount to air it was designed to pass, his guess is that it was a made up carb for an early race car. Interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

I thought this thread had disappeared but it came back and I can't resist adding a story about Fred the fish.

A friend with a 3 YO daughter "fish sat" a goldfish named Fred while the owner went on vacation.
Ella really liked Fred!
One day Fred was missing from his bowl.
When Ella was asked where Fred was she smiled and said "Fred is at home with Jean."
They said no - Fred the fish !
She then took them to her doll house, showed them that Fred was neatly tucked in a bed and she said "He is sleeping"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Bunyip on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

You could try contacting these guys in the Netherlands. They may have some information:

https://www.yesterdays.nl/product/08-ga-carburettor/

It looks like the same carburettor.

Oddball Carburettor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

1912 Minerva has a similar carb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Looks Belgian if was on a Minerva. I'll call it the "VanOoteghem Vaporizer".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

I think that Fred might be a one-off carburetor, built for a racer or a boat or something. If that's the case, it might be (or probably will be) at least similar to another carb of the period that had some success.

GA could simply be an identification mark so it could be traced back to whoever was commissioned to make it, or it could be the maker's initials.

Probably untraceable today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Friday, October 13, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Here's a photo of a 1913 Minerva. If it's not the same carb, it's certainly very close.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration