Touring supplies, tools, etc?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Touring supplies, tools, etc?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 12:57 am:

Hi all, We are planning on attending the Texas T party in October 11, Kerrville, Tx. What tools and supplies should one bring on touring day? Shirley did not come with a tool kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 01:08 am:

Judging from Steve Jelf's experience, I'd say a tube patch kit would be a nice add...I carry one in my car...you can get them from Harbor Freight, they're cheap.

You might also want to bring the correct spoons for changing your tires too.
Also, an extra coil (just in case).
One or two extra spark plugs
A gallon or two of gas.
A couple of quart bottles of oil.
Some blankets, never know nor how you'll need to use those.
A bunch of tools, like those you can get a Harbor Freight, they come in their own carrying case that stows nicely under your rear seat (if you've got one, that is).
A tire pump, foot pump seems to work well.

You may also consider (but not required) a spare carburetor.
And a distributor...just in case you didn't bring the extra coil and one of yours goes out, that way you can switch over to a decent distributor and continue on your way until you can replace or repair that defunct coil...I always carry one for just such instances, myself. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 01:15 am:

And don't forget the rags, you're more than likely going to need lots of them too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 01:30 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 05:41 am:

Steve, if you bring rags, which I think is a heck of a good idea, bring some hand cleaner too!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 06:51 am:

Cotter keys, bailing wire, duct tape, nut and bolt assortment, jb weld, bars leak, and some silicon wouldn't hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 09:05 am:

Looking forward to meeting you in Kerrville Ignacio. Forget all that stuff listed above. Your profile reveals that you're a psychiatrist. Bring a couch and a notebook. There'll be a lot of nutty people there. I'll be one of them. Will be bringing the 9th Model T that I 've restored to this T Party.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 09:08 am:

Looking forward to meeting you in Kerrville Ignacio. Forget all that stuff listed above. Your profile reveals that you're a psychiatrist. Bring a couch and a notebook. There'll be a lot of nutty people there. I'll be one of them. Will be bringing the 9th Model T that I 've restored to this T Party.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Oooops. Sorry for the double post :o(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 09:22 am:

I'll add a couple of things to the list. A tarp to lie on if you have to get out and get under. It's much easier to find dropped small parts on a tarp than on the ground. A jar of baby wipes. A can and a small brush for washing oily parts after you drop them in the dirt. You can run a little gas into the can from the carburetor drain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 09:36 am:

I carry spare radiator hoses and a spare timer too. If I'm staying at a fancy hotel, I carry some heavy cardboard to stop oil stains dripping onto their paving. Having a van has it's advantages!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Wes - Yes !

George - I think a psychiatrist is just what is needed.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:00 am:

Similar lists suggest a spare head gasket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:11 am:

I forgot to mention a piece of plywood for the foot pump. Uneven ground makes it tip over.

If you run out of gas five miles from the next filling station, as I have done, you'll really be glad to have a few extra gallons on the running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:14 am:

Oh, we'll have plenty of spare parts and tools. I always bring a stool on wheels for the nondemountable boys, creeper, Ujoint, carb, floor jack, cotter pin assortment and cut down manifold clamps for removing one while leaving one. ...But if I can have a co-pay waived while on Ignacio's couch, it'll be an excellent tour !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Triple A plus card and cell phone. As to supplies - plenty of beer in a cooler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:41 am:

As I found last week, be ready to walk to higher ground to get phone service. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

I have found, that usually, carrying less stuff is better. These days, the AAA card and cell phone are probably the most important items. However, as Steve Jelf mentions, cell phones don't work everywhere.

That is me, using the car's hood as a semi-parabolic reflector to pick up a cell tower otherwise out of range. I guess 25 years as a communications technician/engineer was good for something. The angle and spacing had to be fairly precise, just to barely hold a signal. That one is a long story, I will tell another day.

I often laugh about the one and so far only time I took a spare connecting rod on a tour. It was a long two day tour. It also was so far the only time I have thrown a connecting rod bearing on a tour. (Cause and effect?)

I usually carry small hand tools, adjustable wrench fits many things. A little bailing wire, a couple feet of electrical wire. Electrical tape, a modern worm drive hose clamp or two (amazing how many times they have been used to hold together exhaust pipes, tail lamps and other things one would never think about. The aforementioned can of miscellaneous bolts nuts and screws (don't forget a few cotter pins, and 1/8 inch pipe plug in case a drain cock falls out along the way).
A comment I would add to Chad A's list, the J B Weld? A very good idea. But take J B Kwik because the regular takes too long to set for a day use. The Kwik sets somewhat in about five minutes, begins to hold in less than an hour. I had some with me on a tour many years ago when a factory flaw in the block's casting decided it was finally time to blow out, leaving me with no cooling water. A quick Kwik fill, followed by twiddling my thumbs for a half hour, and we were on our way, only slightly late to the lunch stop. (I still have the block, and it could be used as is to this day.) The regular J B Weld is a slightly better, stronger, hold. And a better choice for many uses. But the J B Kwik seems to work very well for most things, and for a "back on the road" fix, usually the better choice.
Thank you Chad for the reminder.

The list of parts that have in fact been needed on major tours, is very long. ON TOURS, I have seen timing gears, rear axles, rear end gears, rods and pistons, head gaskets, manifolds, wheel hubs, carburetors, bands, and more being changed so that a tour could be completed (frankly, that is part of the FUN!). While a coil and timer may be a wise choice? Most of those other things are just too much to carry in one car. Big major tours might be wise to provide a few of the other things available to touring members. But carrying them yourself? That is what AAA is for.
Twice, I have seen rear axles changed, because someone on the tour had a spare axle in their tow vehicle. Never have I seen a person that had an axle with them need it themselves.

Otherwise? Be creative. I had a short in the wiring burn out the electrical wire to the ignition. The three feet of electrical wire that I carried (usually enough to bypass a failed ignition switch) was not long enough to replace nearly eight feet of burned wire. So I finished the tour without a functional tail light (brake lamp wire would also work) since the tour was done before dark. Ironically, on the same tour (car had been frantically thrown together barely in time to make the tour, and was quite unprepared), a bolt fell out of the Muncie shift mechanism, and wound up in the bottom of the transmission. We tried, and couldn't get the bolt without draining the gear oil. So, the tour goody bag became the drain pan. Oil drained out into bag, bolt retrieved, shift fork properly fixed (using bailing wire and a lock washer from my bolts can), oil squeezed back into transmission and we were back on our way. By the way, that unprepared car was a lot of fun that day. I got the hard-luck trophy for cars finishing the Run, arriving at the finish line after nearly everyone else had gone home! A wonderful longtime friend stayed with us the last thirty miles, and we were the last two cars in. But that was one of the most fun Endurance Runs I ever went on. One doesn't need to have the best prepared car to have a wonderful time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Very appropriate and timely advice Wayne. I especially like the mention of broken rear axles. Most people know the term broken rear axle usually refers to a widened or wallowed out keyway in the taper. I've driven the '26 roadster for years after adding wire wheels but, in preparing for the T Party in a few weeks, I decided to see if I could tighten the 2 rear axle nuts. Sure enough, I advanced the cotter pin 2 castellations on one axle and 3 on the other. I think this is an often overlooked tour preparation...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration