Ot, Totally Way OT, But Very Old Car & Film: Genevieve

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ot, Totally Way OT, But Very Old Car & Film: Genevieve
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 01:28 am:

For several years now, since the internet made it possible. Most years, about this time, I longingly peruse the Bonhams site, looking at the entrants for the upcoming London to Brighton Run. It usually takes several evenings being about four hundred or more entrants, and some really fascinating cars. I also like to notice in general how many USA cars, special notice of Fords, Cadillacs, and Curved Dash Oldsmobiles (looks like the Cadillac is leading all other USA marques this year with almost two dozen I have seen so far this year!). Lots of French and British cars as usual, along with many marques only heard of by people that follow such early automobiles.
This year, again, I notice a certain 1904 Darracq, with the name Genevieve on the sides of the hood (bonnet). And my mind wanders, and wonders.
I have never seen the movie "Genevieve"! For those that don't know, it is a romantic comedy from 1953, that centers around the London to Brighton Run circa '53.
And again, I wonder. Is the movie any good? Should I try to find a copy and watch it? It does appear to be available on Amazon, and not very expensive. But I have things I need for my model T projects. Should I waste the money?
And, is this the Darracq in the movie?
Opinions and reviews sought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 04:24 am:

Hi Wayne,

Here is a link to a clip from that movie which will give you some idea of of it's content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgiv_I2TkNc

I, too, must be mindful regarding my discretionary funds. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 06:00 am:

A friend of mine who is into one and two cylinder cars gave me a VHS copy of Genevieve years ago. It was a requirement to play it the week before the Old Car Festival. I always enjoyed the vintage scenery and views of the England I remembered from Social Studies in elementary school. Of course, the various cars in the movie are great.

It's not Star Wars, but it's an enjoyable watch. If you do find you like it, then order a copy of The Titfield Thunderbolt as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 06:05 am:

I saw the film for the first time in 1954 and very many times since. Naturally the story is fiction and the 'other' car, the Spyker, was not really eligible for the London to Brighton, being built one year too late. It is, never the less, a film that sparked the now huge interest in historic motoring.
It is a film of good light-hearted fun, well enhanced by the wonderful music of Larry Adler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 06:15 am:

Incidentally, the 1904 Darraq bearing that name has had an interesting life. It was bought by a Mr. Giltrap and spent time in his museum in New Zealand. Later the museum, along with Genevieve, relocated to the Gold Coast region of the state of Queensland in Australia. I'm uncertain when the car returned to the U.K., but believe that there were several other owners over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 06:43 am:

I saw it a month or so ago, netflix has it on their dvd rental.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 11:05 am:

http://www.donbrockway.com/genevieve%27s%20history.htm

That will give you the history for the car and the film. (David Burgess Wise the article's author was once Ford UK in house historian).

Well worth watching, especially now for the 1953 street scenes. London with tramlines and so little traffic! Look out for the Ford V8 woodie with a newsreel cameraman standing on the roof. Great fun. My mate Willy to this day leans out the car window and yells Ha Ha Haha when he sees a broken down car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 11:12 am:

I should add, especially when he sees a friend's broken down car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

Thank you all for such wonderful comments and suggestions. I will check out the links a bit later when I have a few whole minutes to look at them.

Jem B, I also look forward to seeing why Willy does as he does.

Chad A, How goes the cleanup?

Bill H, Sucks being broke, especially after so many years working hard, skrimping, and saving.
How is the Metz coming along?

Dane H, I had heard many years ago that the car from the movie was in Australia. Don't remember where I heard that.

Tom M, Yeah, ones and twos are a whole world other than model Ts that can get quite addictive, and a lot of fun you can't find anywhere else. I have played on the edges of them for many years, never quite being able to make the leap into actively touring with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 05:40 am:

Thanks for that link, Jem. The story there fills in the gaps for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 08:10 am:

That movie is one of my favourites! It's the same age as me and every once in a while we watch the DVD for a good laugh.
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 08:13 am:

And yes, the car was in Western Australia and competed in a Perth to Albany rally over 30 years ago. They just featured the documentary on T V again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 12:29 am:

Bill H and Jem B, Thanks again for the links. Late last night I followed them and enjoyed a nearly nine minute clip of the movie, and a nice read on the car specifically used in the film. The clip was fun. Warning to others, it also is a spoiler if that matters to anyone else. For me it is fine. I have had a tendency to skip around stories all my life, and am used to seeing the ending first. It also was an occupational hazard of being a communications technician and working with cable services a lot. One had to work on the channel that had issues, and watch what was on at the time one is working on it. I saw lots of movies in out-of-order sequence.
The website article about the Darracq car was quite enlightening. A lot of things, I already knew. The car's background I didn't, and it was interesting. A few other things, I suspected, now I know. (Hey, it is on the internet, so it has to be true, right? Actually, I am pretty sure those details are true.)
Included were insights into the VMCC-GB history, and behind the scenes information on the making of the movie.
Thank you all again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Genevieve is not a romantic comedy and I am sure husbands and wives relate to it for different reasons. As a wife I know it is useless to suggest a different outing on an important tour weekend. I relate to the doggedness of get to the end, to the patiently sitting and waiting while the car is fixed, but we are that silent support person and we come through in the end just as Mckims wife does running across Westminster Bridge. My husband follows McKims problems and I more than sympathize with his wife's frustrations. It's a good movie. What do other wives think?
Erica

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

The full movie on you tube...

https://youtu.be/IcDHS1l0cFA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Here is the IMDB review of this movie...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045808/

also another movie I have seen
is Excuse my dust with Red Skelton...

https://youtu.be/7DjAgFc5mdo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

Erica, I hope Peter truly appreciates you, and your support.

Wes N, I haven't seen "Excuse MY Dust" for about fifty years now. I do need to see it again. Red Skelton is one of my all-time favorite comics (or "clown" as he preferred). When I was five the "Red Skeleton" (sic) show was one of my favorite things on television.
When "Excuse My Dust" was shown on television in the '60s, I had to watch it. I still remember the "ga-RAGE-ee business" business. Also, I knew then that the car he used was a Sears circa 1910, even though the film setting was nearly fifteen years earlier. If I remember correctly, Red cranked his car from the side, like many really early cars, even though the Sears had a front crank handle, and it could be seen in some shots. I seem to recall reading in a "Blooper" book, a mention that the car was cranked both front and side in different scenes in the movie? Now I guess I will have to get a copy of it and look.

Again, Thanks all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

Wayne, the link I posted to Excuse my dust is the whole movie on you tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Wes N, Thank you for that link. I will check it and the "Genevieve" full movie links when I have more than a few minutes uninterrupted by other things here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joerg Walther - FarFarAway (Germany) on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Just a few weeks ago I visited the Louwmanmuseum in Den Haag (The hague) / Netherlands.
An extremely impressive collection of so many pre war and vintage vehicles I never saw before to that extent. It kept me 5 hours to walk around and i could have spent more time if they did not close at 5 p.m.

Genevieve has found it's home there and they are showing a part of the movie on a screen on display.
I ordered the movie from U.K. and will watch it in a few minutes.

If you are ever there, don't miss it:

www.louwmanmuseum.nl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

Guten Tag, Joerg,

That looks like a very nice museum. I have heard of it several times, but never really seen any pictures of it. Thank you for sharing them with me, and us.

Danke

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration