Motorized winch vs non-motorized winch / ratched winch?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Motorized winch vs non-motorized winch / ratched winch?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Two years ago I bought a motorized winch from Harbor freight. I put it on the 18' open trailer just to learn how it works and be prepared if I ever need it. The problem is, I do not leave it on the trailer because it might rust out and not work when I do need it and I prefer not to risk using the truck as a battery source.

So, do you think or know if a ratchet style winch would work? Or two ratchet styles side by side on the rail at the front of the trailer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:13 am:

If you don't want a motorized winch, get a hand cranked two-speed boat winch. You can also buy motorized boat winces that have auxiliary hand cranks in case of a power failure. I've had a 3500 lb pull winch on my four wheeler for 13 years. I use it all the time. One time it hauled the UPS truck up my slippery driveway. It is exposed to all kinds of nasty weather and about the only thing I have done is replace the brushes in the motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:14 am:

Google is your friend.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-capacity-geared-winch-5798.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:30 am:

Bob

for the price, why not just cover it when stored and replace it every 4 years or so if it goes to pieces? They're dirt cheap. I mounted a battery in my trailer and use a (cheap!) solar battery charger to keep the battery up. Simple. Works. Great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 11:01 am:

My electrical winch just lifts off. It lives in my cross bed tool box on my pickup since it is rarely used. Keeps down theft, which was the main reason for doing it, and keeps it out of the weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

Thanks for your input!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

Mine is also removable. Made a plate to mount it to.

I have a 2" square tubing welded to my trailer and can slip in the electric or the manual boat style winch. As said, keeps theft down if you can remove them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Info needed on the solar battery charger. How good are they? I Know the sun has to shine for them to work good. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

Get one of these well-built, over-built hand winches and you'll never need another! USA made since the 1930's, every part is replaceable, available and affordable.

https://www.wyeth-scott.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

For many years I have struggled trying to load dead lawnmowers and such on trailers and trucks. After 3 of us fought to get a dead on arrival John Deere zero turn loaded up on my trailer I set out to put together a electric winch. I put a 3000 pound 12 volt winch on a plate with a 2 inch tube to go into a receiver hitch.I can plug it into the back of the pickup truck if needed. I put a receiver on a boat trailer winch mount and put it on the trailer.It is adjustable another foot higher than pictured. I got a wireless remote for it and a solenoid like used on a camper slide out that is 75 amp rated for direction change.
I plan to put a connector on the cable and run wires on the truck to a connector to plug in at the back bumper.
The winch I bought slightly used for 20 bucks with the factory wireless remote burnt up. It was wimpy anyway.Fuel pump solenoids. I redone all that with these items
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Winch-Wireless-Remote-Control-System-for-most-types-of-12volt-winches/132230109371?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Heavy-Duty-ATV-UTV-RELAY-WINCH-MOTOR-REVERSING-SOLENOID-SWITCH-12-VOLT/151848393976?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHARGER-PLUG-w-CONTACTS-50-AMP-SB50-SMALL-RED-CHARGERS-WINCH-4X4-new/262712871828?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

My trouble is the first time I used it to winch a lawn mower on the trailer the cable found a groove to cram its self into and it took 2 hours to get it out.I just took these pics in the dark for this post,sorry for the out of focus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

I meant to add that If I need to use the winch at this time I simply put a spare battery in the back of the truck and connect the alligator clamps to the battery and recharge it when I get back home. Works good other than getting the cable in a bind not paying attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

I installed a trailer ball to the front deck of the trailer and a coupler to the winch. Then long enough cables to reach to the tow vehicle battery. Just package it up when not in use

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

A rechargeable jumper pack works great as well. I recommend having one in the tow rig.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 12:03 am:

Dan

take a look at this: http://www.batterymart.com/p-50022-12v-5w-solar-panel.html

I have had one on my trailer for 2 years and winch works great. There is no other source of power to that battery.

I purchased a second unit and put my jeep into storage at our new home out west and left sitting for 18 months (including 2 weeks of -20F)...car started right up and battery is going strong 2 years later.

You can buy cheaper ones, but this one (or one that looks very much like it) is robust and well made and I am very happy with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Dale W, Thank you for the link!! I do not mind spending money on quality tools that are USA made and will last several lifetimes!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Too bad but all our flea mkt's are over but i need to find one of those used at a good price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 11:13 am:

Walmart of all places has them (at least online) for cheaper than the manufacturer- they may be reconditioned, but that shouldnt be an issue.

I buy any of them I find at auctions or swap-meets as all my friends "borrow" them repeatedly...........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Non-motorized wench -

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

My HF winch is 8 years old and it sits on the trailer in the rain. I used it last weekend to put my son's mustang on the trailer with no issues. It has the plate so you can remove it if you wanted to.It was like $99 back then..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

With the strong/heavy neck is that a Morgan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

Saddlebred. That made was cresty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

Mare !! Mare !! (stupid auto-correct)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration