Acceptable Pitman wear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Acceptable Pitman wear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

What is considered acceptable wear for the pitman arm ball? I have an original pitman arm off my 1910 T (marked T929)and I'd really like to use it if I can. It is worn, measuring .978 at the sides of the ball and .986 at the front of the ball. If this isn't acceptable, can the ball be welded up and machined to spec?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

If the steering can be moved throughout it's range without binding, and there is no appreciable steering slack when going straight ahead, I can't see why what you have isn't going to be fine. I am assuming that you do NOT want to use an APCO drag link cap.

If you want, I don't see why you couldn't build up with weld and file back. Drill a hole in a stub of material and use that as a spherical gauge and work slowly with the file or hand-held air sander. It will go faster than you think.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration