Any idea what this step plate is or where to find one . ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Any idea what this step plate is or where to find one . ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

While setting up as a vendor at the recent swap meet here in Arkansas I fond this step plate in my stuff. I do not have a clue where I got it. (or when) Maybe that is a sign that I have been doing this too long :-) ... Any way, I like it and it would work great on my speedster project. Any info on who made it or where to find another one would be appreciated. If someone has one or even a pair of them Im interested ... It is 5-7/8 inches long X 4-3/8 inches wide. I think it is made of nickel plated brass as it is heavy and non magnetic ... Thanks ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

You could have another one cast using this on as a pattern if you could find a local foundry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

I believe that is the logo for Wilcox, Crittenden & Co. which is best known for making marine hardware. I didn't know they made automotive accessories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

I think John is correct. Several of these might be stagger mounted on a large boat transom for climbing into the boat from the water. The oval hole provides a hand hold as you climb up stepping on the lower plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

There are some double wide plates on ebay right now.

Based on a google search, your narrower plate also shows up on ebay once and a while.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=wilcox+crittenden&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trk sid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xwilcox+crittenden+step.TRS0&_nkw=wilcox+cri ttenden+step&_sacat=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Thanks guys, that was quick ... :-) Im thinking the double wide plates would work just as good or better... I may sell mine and buy the two double wide plates on e-bay... Thanks again ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Leach on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 12:36 am:

Donnie try antique fire apparatus. They were used for hose bed steps for many years before the fold down steps became popular

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 05:17 am:

Definitely a transom step off of a boat..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 06:24 am:

Don is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 07:24 am:

As said its a marine step. I kind of doubt transom and might lean more towards mast (the narrow width and handhold are very important in this aspect. One good thing about most all wilcox marine hardware is that it is bronze plated and if you can remove the plating you can have a beautiful brass/bronze piece for your car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration