What is this socket called ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What is this socket called ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

Got this accessory tail light with both running light and brake light bulbs. Both sockets need one of those single contact fittings with a long spring loaded brass rod to work. What are they called and where can I find them.

Light

Socket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

Those would be "bayonet" sockets. Used to work at one of the parts suppliers a long time ago out here in Sacramento. They had the pigtails on the shelf for both 1 and 2 filament bulbs. Don't know about anybody else tho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

Starting here is a safe bet. If they don't have it, they can usually point you in the right direction:

http://www.riwire.com/Catalogs/sup/pages/washers.htm

http://www.riwire.com/Catalogs/sup/pages/supplies.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Not really a brake/tail light. Was meant to be used ether on battery or magneto powered. One bulb for each, you could use the battery side when the car was not running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 12:07 am:

No ... pigtails are insulated discs with a contact or two and wire or wires hanging out the other end. These are available at any auto store.

What's needed here is a solid insulated plug with two bayonet pins and a thin spring loaded brass pin in the center. This is very different than the plugs used in a model T headlight. You put the plug in from underneath and then the bulb in the top which makes contact with the spring loaded pin in the plug. I'll find them at Hershey but would like to know what they're called.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 12:28 am:

They are called Lamp Connectors, or Plugs.
The Smith Co. had good ones.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 12:40 am:

What your missing in your light, are two Sockets.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 12:49 am:

Here you go. They called BA15S: 99 a piece. Use the parts you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 01:08 am:

Mark,
I think this is the type that you are looking for.
If so, PM your address to me.
You were so helpful in the past re-sizing and fixing some of my photos with your expertise in photography.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 07:26 am:

Hey Jim ... that's exactly what I need. I had seen them before but for the life of me I never knew what they were called to even do a search. Thanks ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 08:40 am:

Another example of "what goes around, comes around".

Sure is nice when we help each other, rather than gripe and complain ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Mark; check to see if both bulbs will fit. If you are planning on using one 21W and one 3W single contact bulbs there might not be room for both or it might be a tight fit. This lamp was made for 2 3W bulbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

I've seen the taillight pictured above, but would like to carry this post a little further. There is a DOUBLE contact plug like what Jim posted that I use on my '25, that fits into a later replacement taillight that I think Ford made in the '30s. I have it on my '25 pickup and it looks stock. I'm using an original '26 stoplight switch, and a special Model A cowlight bulb that Snyders sells for converting cowlights to turn signals. Unfortunately Snyders bulbs have staggered pins, so I had to file off one pin to get it to work, but it does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

Here is a vintage ad for this tail light. It had two single contact bulbs. One was a running light and the other for a brake switch.

Ad

Here is a detail of the one I have. Just put some bulbs in there to see what fits. I think another larger bulb would fit ok.

Lamp w bulbs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

Whoops ... I was wrong above! I meant to say that was how I planned to use the double bulb lamp. :-) it was originally sold as a redundant system ... mag and battery powered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

Mark,
I have two types. The shorter one has a spring loaded brass contact that extends from 1/16" to 9/32". The longer one extends from 3/16" to 7/16".
You can determine which would work best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

One thing you might think about doing is painting the inside white. Really helps on those or any light reflect more light out the lens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Jim: The ones I have are double contact, and that is what I'm using in my '25. I always pick them up when I see them. The socket in my taillight is just like the double job above, but only has one socket.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration