Lift-The-Dot fastener installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Lift-The-Dot fastener installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

I have just a few Lift-The-Dots to install and am wondering whether the expensive tool for cutting the holes in the fabric is really necessary.

Has anybody else in this select group of thrifty souls ever done the job ? How did it work out and what are the pitfalls ?

Thank you,

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

No, it isn't necessary, just more convenient if you have a lot of them to do. If you have just a few, you can use an X-acto knife to cut the short slits for the bend-over tabs.

For the center hole, you can either use the X-acto knife again, or fold the material over on itself at the intended center of the hole and use a hole punch to punch a half-moon out of the folded material. When you unfold the material, you will have a circular hole in the desired spot. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Thanks for the insight, Mark. Upholstery material is pretty expensive for plowing fresh ground. Now I have the confidence to just go for it.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Am I wrong? I think Ford only used lift the dot's on '26-7s. They used common sense fastners on '25 on back, and plenty of Anzo fastners. I lucked out at a swap meet last year, and found a common sense punch for $5. The list for $50!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

Larry, maybe it was a mistake, but the Classtique kit for my '24 came with six lift-the-dot fasteners to fasten the rear curtain wings to the rear bow. The pegs are double height to allow room for the rear side curtains.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:45 am:

Mark, I know it did, but that doesn't make it right! If you do your homework, you will find Ford used Anzo fasteners in those locations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

Larry's right (as usual)! Here's an earlier thread where Dan Treace talks about Anzo and Lift-the-Dot fasteners.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/329830.html?1356801354

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/765201.html?1498327963

(Message edited by cudaman on September 28, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Mark: Thanks for the kind words. I try to do my best. With Russ's help, I've been able to get some important changes made in the judging guidelines that will benefit all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

Hey Larry, I have a question:

After searching through old threads, I couldn't find a picture of what the holes in the side curtains look like on a car that uses Anzo fasteners to attach the rear curtain wings onto the rear bow. Are they just plain holes in the side curtain material, or is there some kind of grommet around the hole?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration