Body letters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Body letters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

What does the F stand for on a 14 touring body before the date and what are some of the earliest dates that you guys have seen on a 14 style body? Just picked up a 14 touring with a 11 th month 13 body date and an 8 month 13 engine. The interesting thing it has one 14 front fender and one 13 style front fender. Which would you put back on it? All my restoration experience has been with early 13s. Two tourings and one roadster so I'm not up on 14 per say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

Fisher??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Mark,

I believe F is for Fisher. Is it on the wood under the front seat? An August engine would indicate a very early 1914 style car.

July 1913 is the earliest date(s) I've seen on a 1914 style touring. It is a Beaudett body with 1913 style front fenders.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 06:46 am:

Yes it under the front seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 11:32 am:

I have a Fisher bodied '13 roadster. It too has the F in front of the body number under the seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Mark,

Is the engine number less than 348,700?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Yes, 339,346 casting date of 8-28-13. Im going to purchase a couple of new front fenders for it because the originals are shot and I don't know which to buy it has one with the bead in the middle like a 14 and one what I would consider a 13 front fender. I'm thinking that I'll go with the 13s. Anybody have any thoughts on that subject?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Didn't somebody list a really nice pair of fenders earlier this week??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Mark,

In his book, Bruce McCalley covers your early 1914 style touring car beginning on page 176 with a "feature car" serial number 355,995. He discusses the front fenders in particular and other interesting oddities of these 1914 cars, pictures etc.

Mine is #312,4XX, June casting, pipe plug engine with a two piece drive shaft. Dodge Brothers furnished the steering column as well as the other forgings, axles etc.

Do you have a bead across the bottom edge of the center rear tub of the body?

I believe the 1913 touring cars have that bead and Beaudett did that on my "1914".

Ford was apparently assembling 1913 and 1914 style touring cars at the same time for about two months. A friend of mine has #335,XXX and it is a 1913 style Wilson body touring.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

Thanks I'll look for the bead when I get home and in Bruce's book too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Does not have the bead like my restored 13 touring does. After reading about the one in Bruce's book I will definitely put 13 style from fenders on it. I have looked at that book a million times and never read that portion, thanks for sending that info my way. If I could figure out how to post pictures here I would post one. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

I've seen photos of a very early '14 at the archives. The only '14 item on the car is the body itself. Everything else is '13.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

I've seen photos of a very early '14 at the archives. The only '14 item on the car is the body itself. Everything else is '13.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Larry,

There seems to be a couple of additional photos that were taken at the same time of the same car.

Ford's 1913 Michigan Manufacturers plate is on the car in your photo. Wheels stripes and '13 style windshield are clear.

I have wondered if these photos are the source for the following entry (July 28, 1913) in the encyclopedia?

Thank you,

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

I'm starting to go over this a little closer now and the firewall was shot but the gentleman that started to take it apart bought it when he was 14 and he lived well into his 90s. Found the data plate and it's is in 340,000 range. It has a tail lamp bracket that is round and not a spade. I haven't see that before my dad 14 has a spade. Thoughts on if that has been changed? My car has Victor lamps on it and the side lamps look like victors in shape and size but have no marking on them. I'll start restoring it this Winter and I really appreciate your advice. I have lived and breathed 13 fords for the better part of the last 15 years but am looking forward to getting my hands on this 14.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration