Wheel runout

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wheel runout
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

Went to get the alignment done today on my 24.Everything checked out to be good except the right front wheel has about 3/8" of run out. Can anyone recommend someone who can straighten out these rims. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

First, you need to determine what part is not straight. Hub, bearings, spokes, felloe, rim, or tire. Spin the wheel many times, with some sort of rigged pointer at each piece to determine where the issue is. (Remember, the closer you get to the center, the smaller amount of side to side run-out you are looking for. Some things, like a cracked or damaged hub, or damaged bearings, can be a serious failure in waiting. If a car has sat for decades somewhere, sometimes the spokes can warp slightly resulting in a slight run-out. This (in and of itself) usually does not lead to a serious failure.
Side to side of 3/8 inch is on the edge of acceptable. (Most people prefer to keep it under 1/4 inch.) Often, just resetting the rim onto the wheel can sometimes shift the tire's run-out most of that much.

Have fun! But, frankly, I have run that much on a couple Ts and never had a problem with it.
But that is me.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration