Slightly OT - Giving Henry Some Love

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Slightly OT - Giving Henry Some Love
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

I always heard the story of Clyde Barrow thanking Henry Ford for his stupendous V-8, but never actually saw what he wrote. Here is the letter that he supposedly wrote, and yes i did come across this on the Internet, so it must be true. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

John, that's just cool. I read that letter with my own eyes at the museum when we were there 20 some years ago.
My brain remembers it close by the 999 and have it on a VHS tape somewhere.
Thank you for posting and for the memories!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Thanks Duey for verifying it, since you seen it with your own peepers :-) What exactly does 999 mean?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

Oh you mean the Race Car #999...i get what you meant now.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

:-) I wasn't very clear was I?
My memory sees that letter standing alone on its little covered podium (picture frame style), alone, with the 999 racer (grease cups on the rods?) very close by.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 08:25 am:

Yes,Grease cups on the rods! No oil pan so if one bends low they can be seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 12:27 am:

Last fall I was invited to Dearborn for a tour of the "Ford" archives plus other interesting parts of the Benson and the museum. The Ford archives are totally separate from the museum and the Bensen. These archives are now housed in part of the original Ford engineering building. When you enter the building you past over a very large Ford script embedded in the floor. You turn right and walk down the wood paneled walls and walk past Henry's office as well as Edsel's. These offices are restored and sealed off and the doorways are sealed with glass.

In the area where the Factory archives now are is quite close to where Henry published the Dearborn Independent.

I actually held in my hand that letter from Clyde, also the letter that Clara and Edsel's wife Eleanor telling Henry if he did not resign from the Ford Motor Company immediately, they would sell their stock in the company and take it public. I also held Henry's letter of resignation, with a very shaky signature in pen and ink.

I held Henry Ford the 2nd's letter of acceptance to take over the Ford Motor Company with the understanding that Harry Bennett be fired before the deuce ascended to the Presidency.

I held Bennett's letter of resignation along with Bunky Knudsen's, and Lee Iaccoca's letter of resignation.

Other interesting artifacts were Henry's official plant badge with his photograph and his 1st drivers license which if memory serves was issued in 1923.

I did not realize that Henry Ford was a great admirer of President Lincoln and Washington and the Benson has an incredible collection of their papers. I saw a letter hand written by Lincoln to his campaign manager extolling the need and necessity for emancipation and he wanted emancipation to be part of the campaign. This original letter was hand written in pencil on very yellowed paper and signed by Abraham Lincoln.

Also Henry had great admiration for the Wright Brothers, and the Benson has an incredible collection of photos, drawings and memorabilia.

I was shown Fairlane where he actually died, his and Clara's grave sites. Fresh flowers are placed on their graves daily. An interesting side bar Ford people could not find a Lincoln Hearse in time for the funeral so he rode to his final resting place in a Packard. I saw the actual photos of his funeral and his final ride, We also visited the Highland Park Factory that Ford still owns. I saw an incredible amount of Ford history that will remain a highlight until I go to meet Henry.

Just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 01:14 am:

From what I've read about the outlaw duo, was that Clyde was poorly educated and could hardly sign his own name and the letter was written by Bonnie.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration