Insurance for a working TT or other old truck?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Insurance for a working TT or other old truck?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Out of habit I've kept up State Farm insurance on my truck. But I thought I could do much better than their $220 a year by switching to antique insurance. Hagerty would be $67 IF they would insure it. But even though it's driven less than 100 miles a year, they decline due to "inappropriate use". I wonder if anybody here has an antique that's used for hauling firewood or taking yard waste to the brush pile. If so, what insurance are you able to get for it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 10:43 am:

According to this site, You're doing pretty well with State Farm especially if your truck helps count towards some kind of multi-vehicle discount.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/best-cheap-car-insurance-kansas

Since your truck rarely if ever strays from the farm, and accumulates so few miles a year, perhaps you could contact your agent and cut the coverage back to the bare minimum required by Kansas no-fault laws (if you haven't done so already, your current rate is pretty low). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 11:20 am:

When there is limited use of a single vehicle, perhaps try inquiring about 'liability only'. Your State may require a minimum coverage. And if you're a veteran, or family member of an enrolled veteran, you may be pleasantly surprised by USAA. They have been very reasonable for me, at about 2/3rds the cost of GEICO in my case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 01:05 am:

My state farm insurance on my moderns went up 125 bucks this last bill. I went to farm bureau and will be saving over 600 a year total for the 5 vehicles.
But when I ask state farm about 4 years ago in regards to insurance on my T when i finished it,the cost was about the same as my modern cars at that time.
I have my golf cart insured with Foremost insurance group,a subsidiary of Geico. They insure OFF road vehicles. That may be a way around your situation. Insure it like a 4x4 off road truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:20 am:

I never dug real deep into it, but I did check around with some of the antique car insurers at Hershey one year. Hauling a single 2x4 home from Lowes was a cardinal sin. My TT is still with State Farm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:30 am:

I got rid of state farm after 30 years. Never had a claim but when I needed them they screwed me. Now the agent has a lot to do with how good insurance is. Insurance should be updated every couple years but nobody does. I now have 3 different companies with twice the coverage for the same money I donated to state farm for 30 years. One agent that I deal with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 08:12 am:

We too left State Farm. Yesterday, in fact. They purt near doubled our monthly rate when my son turned 16. It was as much for just him as it was for both my wife and I.

We did end up getting a better rate via me being a Ford employee through a third party company, saves us about $1700 a year and has better coverage to boot.

Back to the original topic, thank you for bringing it up, Steve. I've been considering an old truck for most of the same uses you mention, and you saved me the call to Hagerty (and the disappointment that comes with it. ;) )
jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 08:58 am:

Steve, I saw on your web page that you found another company with a significantly lower rate, can you let us know who it was and what are the terms? Any usage / mileage restrictions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:07 am:

It's Grundy. The restrictions were against regular commuting & such, with no mention of occasional hauling. I don't know about the mileage restriction as such. There were choices of annual miles driven, and I marked 100 or less. I sent in the application but I don't know the outcome yet. When they get a look at the required picture they may tell me to take a hike. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

When I was shopping when in LA I was able to get Min,Coverage as a reg.car Fromm AAA, but when I moved to Missourah, the local AAA wouldn't do it because of a little RRfender crumpling. The ins.companys that cover our old cars would only cover if the car was garaged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

Steve,
I was hauling wood from a pecan tree that was cut down yesterday in our 1950 Ford F1. Interestingly, it will be used as hardwood for our Model T needed wood work, windows, top frame and such. I pay around $500 a year for the privilege of driving thru the city of New Orleans but it is also my regular vehicle, which would cost that much anyway if I still had the modern truck.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

I always ask myself why I am insuring it and the coverage I really need. If I am just meeting a state law and don't need to replace it via insurance then high deductible and liability only, if I can. Basically I self insure the vehicle in a sense. That is for the tt and a cj7. I am looking at Grundy, as it was recommended but i have not done anything. The other thought for me is really just a loss due to something like theft. Any damage to the old guy would be fixed by me so I wouldn't want I insurance to cover anything but catastrophe in a sense. Just my view. I suppose I might tell them what they need to hear to provide coverage and know my "self insured" risk by using it the way I choose to. Now my daily transportation to work is a different risk/coverage need to me. I mostly follow rules..........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

As they say, "Pictures or it didn't happen."
Pecan tree stump
This is about a third of what I picked out. I'm not sure how Farm Use laws might benefit you.
emptying pecan wood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

\
It will soon be time to haul firewood up to the house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 07:37 am:

One BIG thing to remember: MED. PAY amounts. There is only ONE way insurance companies can offer: Save $600 or Save $500 per year, and that is to reduce coverage. Very quietly, they have been reducing the amount of medical coverage in their policies. Now, you have to read the coverage very closely as they have covered their tracks pretty well. Instead of being $20,000 per person (injured in an accident), it's $20,000 per accident. You can't even get a ride in an air ambulance for that. You have to fight for every penny in a claim now.

Keep your Medical Coverage in mind when shopping around.

Good Luck,
Terry Miller

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration