OT First railroad

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT First railroad
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

The first steam-powered passenger railway began service in England on this date in 1825 . It brought together the work of George Stephenson, builder of coal mine steam engines, and Edward Pease, who wanted to build a delivery system to bring coal to the market towns of Darlington and Stockton-on-Tees. Some Stockton businessmen advocated a canal system, but the other two towns on the line Darlington and Yarm both wanted a railway. Pease was planning to use horse-drawn coal wagons, however, until Stephenson informed him that a steam engine could pull a load 50 times greater than horses could manage. So a proposal for a railway line went before Parliament, and was thrown out twice. In 1821, supporters of the railway submitted a petition with 785 signatures, and the plan was finally approved. As an afterthought, the drafters of the official document added the permission to carry passengers on the train.

The train's inaugural journey went from Shildon to Stockton, with a top speed of 12 miles per hour. A man on horseback went before the train, carrying a banner that read Periculum privatum utilitas publica ("The private danger is the public good"). About 600 people were aboard, most of them riding in open coal cars. Dignitaries and rich backers rode in the sole passenger coach, which had been dubbed "The Experiment," and which had been built at a cost of 80 pounds sterling. George Stephenson rode on the footplate. A brass band boarded the train at Yarm to complete the journey, where the first steam-powered passenger train was greeted with a 21-gun salute and "God Save the Queen."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

Yes, but the tune would have been God save the King (George IV). The first US railroad came four years later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

Would they have stood or knelt for God Save the Queen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

They stand, but no hand on the heart. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

It was a turning point, no doubt. Next were train wrecks, standardized time zones, crowded depots, then someone decided there was a need for depot hacks, station wagons, and on and on. Look where it got us. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

Tim
Be nice!

BTW. I always stand, hat off, hand on heart, and think of my good friend Gene Daly who died in Vietnam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

The first railroad chartered in the US was actually the New Jersey Railroad Company, in 1815. It was never built, but was to run between Trenton and New Brunswick. The rights were passed to the Camden & Amboy Railroad, which would be chartered in 1830.

The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad became the first official chartered railroad in February 1827, and was completed to 13 miles when it opened in 1830.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad? I used to have controlling shares in them until I went broke staying at that overpriced hotel on Boardwalk...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Tim E, You know, most of the spaces on the original Monopoly board were real places or businesses, some favorites of the games inventors/designers. If someone did that today they would probably get sued to death.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

The street names on the American version are from Atlantic City (Mediterranean, Baltic, Ventnor, Marvin Gardens, etc.). The British board has different names.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:26 am:

I stand at attention and today, give a proper military salute. Before it was authorized for veterans to salute, I placed my hand over my heart. That is what I taught my sons as well. One does just that. The other gives the proper military salute, as he also served. And anyone who can't find their way to do one of the above can go straight to Hell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:30 am:

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration