Rear Axle issue??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear Axle issue??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

So, I think I did a bad, I had not checked my rear axle grease in a long time, and it has a slooooow leak. I had not noticed any issues or hear anything, until the other day. On my way home from work (12 miles each way). When stopping (if I recall correctly, might be starting) from the last couple stops, I felt what I would call a little slap. The car has been parked for a few weeks as I do not have time to pull the rear end apart, and get it back together. Hence part of the bad memory. Well I checked the fluid level with my figure and could not get any on my figure. The leak is from a damaged gasket between the drive shaft tube and the rear axle assembly, part of the gasket is sticking out from the assembly.

I looked in the tiny fill port, I did not see any wear on the ring gear, and everything visually that can be seen looks good, I refilled the grease. I have not moved the car, since adding grease.

The day before I noticed the issue, I was teaching my 13 yr old son to drive the T, and he was popping the clutch quickly from low to high. He did this maybe 2-3 times. I suspect this may be part of the issue.

I need to fix it, I have no time until November. I have all the parts to rebuild the entire rear-end, have never done it, and expect it will take a little extra time the first time it is done. I bought the parts right before we unexpectedly moved to a bigger garage (yipppie). The job just has not made it to the top of my wifeís honey do list, which is almost gone. My concern has always been I do not know what it has for thrust bushings, and the prior owner just did not remember if he did the job or not.

Any ideas what the issue might be, before I dig into it?

The bad part is, I need to drive the car at least 1 mile before winter, for my sonís science fair project, which will involve 3-4 quick stops. I want to be gentle until it is fixed or checked out. But I do not want to mess up his awesome science fair project idea.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

Many things are involved in starting and stopping the T. First jack up both rear wheels and with the brake off, try moving the wheels in and out. If you find end play in the axles, your thrust bearings might be worn out. If this is the case, don't drive until it is fixed. Depending on what brakes you have, you might notice some play in either the universal joint or the ring and pinion gears. If you have auxiliary brakes on the wheels, this wouldn't be a thing to worry about, but if only using the transmission brake you could lose the brakes. Another thing which can cause a click or slap would be loose wood spokes in the rear wheels. You can check for this by leaving the wheels on the ground and trying to rock the wheels top to bottom. If the felloes seem loose on the spokes, you have a wheel problem. Anyway, if you have end play in the axles or if only using transmission brake, or if the spokes are very loose, you should fix things before driving. If otherwise, you could probably drive to the school without a problem.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

Thanks Norm. The T is pure stock, except for the rebuilt engine.

I can quickly check for axle play, and spoke conditions. I use to check the spokes with a rubber mallet, and listen to the sound of the spoke. I doubt I have checked the spokes in 3 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Jason,

If I can be of any help just let me know, I am just up the road.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration