What went BANG?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What went BANG?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

Now that I have a camera again I can show you that NOS tire eaten up by country roads. This one blew out, but the others aren't looking very good either.

They looked beautiful and new when they were unwrapped, but they sure didn't last long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

WOW, how old are they Jeff?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

They sure didn't. Any guesses on the miles you were able to get out of them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Another example that the "Establishment" view that NOS is always better is "fake news" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

What wheel position ??? Curious.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

I'm only guessing, but even though a tire is nicely wrapped and nice looking whence unwrapped most likely can get dry rotted after so many years even in the wrapper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

They look like are made of REALLY soft rubber...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

What's the problem?
The air is just on the outside!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

I was on a stagg 1 and 2 cylender tour with a buddy he had white tire 300 miles tour end they where shot
Whites tires are pretty but leave them for shows and museums

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

I call them sissy tires. I agree with Bob. The only one to have flats on our tours had white tires. Not a good tire for touring...IMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

G'day,

White tyres without carbon filler making them black are soft and will wear out quickly. White looks good but alas will not last. Steve were you experiencing any out of balance shakes as it seems the tyre wore badly at the point of failure.

Peter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John From Oregon on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

That tire is so bald, you can see air!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Duey, I would guess maybe as much as 500 miles. Certainly under 1000.

How long has it been since tyres were made in NZ? 25 years? 30 years? They sure seemed tough going on the rims, but that was all show.

Bob, this one was left rear.

Peter, I didn't notice any shakes, but I wouldn't have on this road. It was rather rough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

Steve you need stop smoking rubber off the line

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Still nice and white! jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

Yikes.
IF "IF" I remember correctly, when I asked how old my (no miles) New Zealand Gum Dipped black tires were last year, it was suggested that before 1996 production stopped in New Zealand of the Firestone tires.
My tires were probably purchased in the very late 70's if that matters.

(Message edited by Duey_C on September 27, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 12:36 am:

I like the "Old" Wards Riverside black tires....they last much longer than the new tires offered today. I'm not a white tire guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 03:13 am:

Could you bond new black tread on them? The sidewalls look like they would still be good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 03:37 am:

Mine are Canadian Goodyear's and I put them on my car fresh out of their wrappings back in 78...so far have had no problem with them, but then I don't drive any real "country roads" either...ours out here are all paved.

And it's been how long since a 30 x 3.5 clincher type drivers tire was made in Canada? Somewhere around 1955 I think. Maybe I should look into replacing these too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 08:18 am:

Wow, Steve! That tire looks like it was made out of cake or biscuit mix. Bummer. Might be a good idea to check the "toe-in" on the rear tires. Perhaps the radius rods are out of adjustment or loose. The two rear tires should run parallel. (Zero toe-in.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 08:47 am:

I doubt the toe-in theory, but I'll check it. The previous black tires ran on there for years without this problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Pretty serious sidewall cracking on that Goodyear. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

So that's why the road has all those white dotted lines on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

So far I have 1100 miles on my current set of whites from Langs this spring. They still look exactly as they did in a previous picture I posted when they were at around 200 miles. The tits are still there, wear is negligible. And they're still white! Yahoooo! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration