Top bows and Irons

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Top bows and Irons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

I am getting my top irons ready for surgery (welding) on my 25. the curved part of the bows were totally rotten and most of them came out like this

but a few came out in 2 pieces (which I taped together for reference)

was that curved part in two pieces from the factory or is this a later repair by someone who found it easier to bend 2 thin pieces rather than one big piece?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

The twin thin strips as you removed are factory.

Use them as patterns. Note the taper on the ends to allow them to pass down into the bow sockets.

Found correct thickness lathe stock at the big box store, cut to size and then steamed them in hot water pot, allows the flex to slide them down. Used water setting glue to keep them in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Dan... lath stick, as in plaster and lath walls... is that softwood?

Thanks for the demo!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Thanks Dan!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration