Well got excited about getting some 1915 parts and Jinxed myself

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Well got excited about getting some 1915 parts and Jinxed myself
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 08:23 am:

I found a 1915 motor, frame, front axle and dash with hood former on Craigslist not far from me here in WV. Had a deal worked out with the folks to pick it up Saturday and this morning I received the dreaded e-mail saying the wife decided she wanted to keep it. Which more than likely means, someone called and offered more money for it. Oh well no brass speedster for now. I did ask him to let me know if she changes her mind, but don't figure that's going to happen. Here's a couple pics of the find.

1915 Parts

1915 Parts 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Looks like someone had it set up as a power unit. Would have made a great speedster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton, Utah on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:22 am:

Had the same thing happen to me recently on some fenders I was hoping to buy for a project car Iím putting together, but didnít even get an email telling me the deal was off. Poop occurs!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:22 am:

It even has it's original radiator...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:16 am:

I would file a claim with Craigs List Buyer Protection and then file a dispute with Paypal on this listing.

Oh, wait... it's Craigs List.

Never mind.

Is you item still available? Western Union me the money and I will ship for free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Urgh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Yep, Ugh is what I said. I believe I have the correct 15 rearend to go with that frame. Was looking forward to an early speedster. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Ha! You know how those "wives" can be clinging on to old Model T stuff! :-)

Tough break...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

Are you sure thats a '15 axle? Maybe someone put a later wishbone/perches?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

I paid for a 29 model A coupe off craigslist and went to pick it up and the man said he was giving it to his cousin. I was miserable but bought a Model T roadster truck 3 weeks later and I am glad it happened now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

Matthew,

Anybody who would do that, (back out on a deal to sell to a better offer), is not anyone you need to do business with anyway. Wasn't meant to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

Probably right. I'll stick with my low radiator setup. I have a 26-27 style engine witht the large brake band that was evidently a replacement engine at some point because it has a 1921 motor number. Also have a large drum ruxtell and 26-27 wire wheels from my late Grandfather's parts that I'll be using when I get around to it. Now I kind of regret not buying that Muncie transmission setup at Lurray. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Matt,
This sort of thing happens more often than you might think, so just chalk it up to it was not the deal for you and move on/adapt to the next option.

A couple of years ago a somewhat newbie to the forum chimed in. He had gone looking for an engine to have rebuilt and the best he could come up with was a rolling chassis with an unstuck engine. He had tried to get the seller to do a breakup and the seller insisted complete. He was waxing and waning on whether he'd get his money out of the chassis if he went the full nut, and seemed to be struggling with a decision. I finally asked him what the seller would take and how much he had offered for the engine only.

Without thinking twice, I immediately said "Congrats, you have yourself an engine! Lug it home, yank the engine, I'll come down with the trailer and buy all of the leftovers sight unseen for the difference in $.

I don't know why I offered, I just felt I was helping someone who lived maybe an hour away "get over the hump" on a buy decision. I rationalized that I had a 23 engine just sitting on a skid...I would drop it in...then do a Rootlieb speedster kit since I already had a Hack, a Roadster, a Fordor, and a coupe...

He gets the car, we contact him as pre-arranged to tell him we're gased up and the trailer is leaving the property. His reply was "umm...ahhh...err...a friend went over to help get it. When I told him I only needed the engine and that a guy agreed to handle the spread of $X, he said danged, he would have offered me that amount for the leftovers, and well, he was there with me, he was helping me, so I gave him the deal...Sorry"

I wasn't all that happy about the way it came down, but held no hard feelings after the initial twitch.

Don't feel isolated on the change, my point is that it does happen more than you think...and handle it like a stone skipping on water. You'll get your kit and have fun doing it. I'll also add...I don't see anything in that picture that screams "1915" anyway :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

Is the dash on that thing all plywood? Something curious about it. Above the hood former all the way around looks like metal,but under the hood former looks like rotted plywood.
Granted I am NOT up on my 1915 construction. So what I ask may be out in left field

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

Yes, Mack Jeffrey, the firewall appears to be the original plywood. The chassis even has the correct carbureator and taper leaf front springs..Too bad Matt. Another deal will come your way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 02:39 am:

The chassis looks like a mix of parts - the frame may have the short rear crossmember used until mid 1913 while the front axle is 1919 and newer.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration