Well ... I guess it's broken in

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Well ... I guess it's broken in
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 08:26 am:

Here is an update. I have been driving the rebuilt '23 runabout now every day for the past five weeks. Starting it with the starter motor and set on mag. Starts easily every time. I usually use the starter to crank it with ignition off and choke on for a second before I switch on the mag.

I can feel the difference in the increased strength of the engine and can climb hills easier in high gear. Can idle down to counting the individual explosions as the car creeps at 10 mph. Shifting is easier though I'm still underwhelmed by the acceleration with the stock NH. High speed so far is around 40 mph. I think the NH is limited for the higher speeds. The hand cranking is also very easy now ... not really tight at all. Was worried that it was too loose ... but no blow-by smoke in the exhaust and the plugs look good.

Am anxious to try an Anderson timer to see if I like it better than the TW I'm using now. And I need to fix a oil leak in the transmission cover to pan interface. Other than that it feels like a model T. I'm driving it through Rochester city traffic to work every day. The last mechanical thing I need to do install the generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 08:32 am:

My guess is you'll like the TW better. Only problem is with a TW is they don't like ANY oil! Had to replace my '12s cam seal this spring as a result. I also open it up and clean it every oil change. It does get a bit carbon dusty in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:37 am:

So far I've found the TW very touchy where it likes to be to give the best tweaking while driving. Still trying to find the right spot when I retard the spark going up a hill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:08 am:

Your description sounds about right for a stock T. They run best on level around 35 to 40. With a bit of pushing it will hit 43-45. Be careful not to lug it down too slow when climbing hills. Shift down to keep the RPM up. They like to break crankshafts when pulling hard at slow speed.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Yeah, that creeping along at 10 mph while counting revolutions sounds like a good recipe for breaking a crankshaft. I wouldn't do that anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:27 am:

No ... I don't let it go too low in the rpms when going up hill. Will shift to low when it begins to think about lugging. Guess I'm used to my old speedster with less weight, a low head and spiffy updraft carburetor. Still I feel like this new T is performing like it should at this point. Don't expect it to good too fast. It's loves 30-35 ish on straight-aways and slight inclines. Easy to drive and stop. Not over heating ... oil clean enough and not too much metal on the magnet in the transmission cover. Kevlar bands seem to be seated pretty well. Like I said ... might be in the market for a different carburetor and timer combination. Going to Hershey on Wednesday. Will wear my fedora with my last name on the brim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

Mark : I've been using my '25 coupe for a test-bed for the carbs I rebuild and have made some interesting finds. I've recently ran several regular NHs, at last 8 different NH straight throughs, and 7 Stromberg OFs. Truth is that there is very little difference in top speed between all three styles although the Stromberg may be good for 1-2 mph more top speed than the straight through and maybe 4-5 mph more than the regular NH . The coupe will achieve 54-55 mph and has a stock motor with a Z head , 0.020 over pistons, and a high volume intake (aluminum). I'm also using a 3.33 rear end ratio and discovered that the top speed did not change from the 3.63 but the engine noise/vibration is much less. By far the biggest change was the installation of the Z head. As for the carbs, all three types idle very well but the Stromberg is a bit better than any of the NHs. What is noticeable is the smoothness throughout the rpm range with the Stromberg and the absence of having to constantly fiddle with the mixture. The NHs are basically a wick in a puddle of gasoline whereas the Stromberg has three different circuits. In my short testing I get a "seat of the pants" feeling that the fuel consumption is less with the Strombergs also and I expect it to be as they are a much more efficient design. As well, with the Stromberg, there will be less plug fouling and carbon build-up as the mixture is better controlled as opposed to a lot of guess work in finding the correct mix with the NH.
I've also been experimenting with timers and quite a while ago removed my TW timer as I was concerned with having to replace the brush in an inconvenient situation. For the last year,I have been running a re-surfaced original New Day, and a used but calibrated Anderson, switching back and forth to try and determine a favorite. A few days ago I re-installed the TW timer and instantly noticed a difference at higher rpm in that the TW gave much smoother running especially above 45 mph. I'm currently looking for another brush for the TW as it will be my first choice in the future. Hope you get a chance to drop by for a visit at my spot in Hershey. Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Mark
I'm really pleased for you that things have come together. I know you had some worries during the final stages and am happy for you that it all came together

Bruce
Thanks for the interesting observations

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Hey Bruce, Thanks for all your f this information. Really something to think about. My old '19 T had a low head .. an Anderson timer and a no name updraft carburetor that resembled a U&J that I rebuilt. It idled nicely, had great transition pickup and had more power than I felt safe to actually exploit. What is your space number at Hershey.

Thanks Scott, Yes, there were some whacky things about this rebuild that were unexpected. Everything seems to be smoothing out and you know there is still a period of second guessing in the back of your mind if everything is bolted down tight enough for the next year of driving. :-) Hope this T will take over the record of my last one which to my knowledge was probably the oldest auto in nearly daily use in an American city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 11:49 am:

Hi Mark and Scott: You're welcome. I initially bought my T to have something to fiddle with as I'm a devoted "tinkerer", always looking to make things a little better, smoother, faster, quieter etc. and this T has filled the bill. It may be a little unfair to be using it a carburetor testing device but it's all I've got and it works, as I couldn't offer a rebuilt carb for sale without knowing for sure that it performs properly. As a by-product of the carb testing I've also proven the old saying that "most fuel problems are ignition related". Hope you can drop by for a visit at GAG and GAF 27-28 in the Green field. Cheers : Bruce

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration